Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula

Lurcher

Hi everyone,

Sorry, it's been ages since I've posted anything here, as my sketches tend to be a bit rough around the edges so I'm never really sure whether to post here, or on the observing report forum and just attach my very rough sketches there.

Anyway, I was just pleased to: firstly get out with the scope just recently, and secondly, to make out some of the fainter stars in the trapezium which had eluded me before. I then noticed the lovely grouping of stars near to the Orion Nebula while i was taking a wide-angled view of it. So I also took a closer look at the stars there and found out that they were Hatysa, Struve 745 and Struve 747. (Thanks to "Turn Left at Orion").

There's some more faint stars around the trapezium so I'd like to have another look around there when I can and see if i can make out any of the others.

So much to see in Orion, and great to have a couple of clear nights!

Cheers all.

ScanItem-002.jpg

ScanItem-001.jpg

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

These are great sketches and thanks for sharing. As someone else has already pointed out - it looks just like you are looking down the eyepiece.  And as far as I can tell skilled sketching is the only way to create a picture that looks like  the image you’d see in the eyepiece. A camera can’t do it.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Much appreciated. I wish you all the best and clear skies!!

On 28/03/2021 at 22:46, niallk said:

Wow you must have really nice skies: you caught G in the Trap - amazing.  Gives me hope with my 15"

Nice scope Niallk. I hope you get some decent skies and can see the fainter skies too soon. I've still yet to try and see the others I missed due to Orion hiding behind my neighbour's house now).

Cheers all.

• Like 1