Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen Mini Porta strip down & re-grease.

Franklin

Hi, I'm posting to see if anyone out there has any experience or advice on stripping down, cleaning and re-greasing a Vixen Mini porta alt-az mount. I picked one up 2nd hand and although it comes supplied with a toy tripod it will be fine to use with my PST. The slo-mo's are nice and smooth but there is an unacceptable amount of wobble on both axis and the azimuth makes a grinding sound as well. I fear a previous owner has attempted to improve the mount and has not re-assembled it correctly. There are a number of clear nylon washers/shims that have become worn and distorted and also the nyloc locking nuts have been re-used and so keep coming loose hence the wobble. I have some new lock nuts on order which I hope will sort out the wobble problem. I just need to confirm in what order/place the nylon washer/shims are meant to be in. I've looked online to no avail. I did strip down and re-grease an EQ5 in the past and there was masses of info online for that which really helped. Both of the gear/clutch/axis units are the same but one has an extra washer/shim which leads me to think that there is one missing from the other, which could be causing the stiffness and grinding? Any advice would be much appreciated.