Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatorial thoughts

Ags

I live in a ground floor apartment, surrounded by neighbors in a land where no one seems to use curtains or blinds. I have 3D light pollution from local light sources, and nearby Schiphol airport and a surrounding city. I often think about a structure to block out the local light pollution. One which I would be able to build anyway. A dome is simply too complicated to build and far too expensive to buy.  A roll off roof is awkward in my space and won't block light from upstairs. Tonight I thought of a flip-lid observatory - if the roof flips up it will provide more shading. Something like this:

image.png.59808831739cb7a36b61bc07dc23b0bf.png

It would even be possible, once the roof is flipped up to hook some canvas along the back  Now I have made a model it does look a bit restrictive, but I could enable the roof section on the side with the human figure to open out a bit wider. Keeping the weight of the roof parts low would be vital of course.

Edited by Ags

No reason why , structurally, you could not make that design work.  Of course blocking the sides like that you would be restricting a large amount of your view but if those aspects are badly light polluted them perhaps not such a loss.  Have you considered perhaps a dome ?  Would your use be visual or imaging or both?

Jim

• Like 1

Visual mostly with a little imaging. There is a streetlight due south of the site which might be a real deal-breaker depending on the angles and a couple of young hazelnuts will have to come out.

Is it a bad idea to let creepers grow on the side of an observatory?

I don't want to pour concrete for a pier however. I am thinking of something less permanent - perhaps something deeply staked into my heavy clay soil. Note I am not thinking of very heavy equipment, maybe a C8 at most. I think it would also be nice to recline in the darkness of the obsy with a pair of binoculars taking in the night sky and maybe catching a meteor or two.

A dome is just too complicated to build. I could probably do it but don't like the possibility of failure. Another issue is the noise of rotating the dome. A dome is also permanently high, shadowing my northern neighbor's garden.

Edited by Ags

I would tend not to allow creepers or any vegetation to grow on the walls of the obsy just from the point of view that they may get in the way of any routine maintenance ; painting , oiling etc.  If however you are looking to use the creepers to help blend in the observatory to the garden then I 'd go ahead with that - I think it is really just a personal judgment. Just  accept that you may have to manage the creepers by occasionally cutting back .  You may here some caution about how vegetation can affect temperature regulation of the obsy but to be honest  I think any effect would be marginal, besides once the roof is open the temperature equalises to the outside very quickly.

If you are not looking to do imaging then yes no real need for a permanent pier. If your observatory will be secure and  you are content you could  simply use a tripod semi permanently placed to give some sort of resemblance of permanent alignment.  Alternatively there are pier designs which have used light weight aerated building blocks (thermalite - one trademark)  - such a pier could be bolted to a concrete pad in the ground and easily dismantled if and when required. 

At the end of the day anything you do which gives a move towards a more permanent setup is going to increase your time at the eyepiece.   As a wild card option, if you are not looking for a permanent setup, but more concerned about shelter and blocking out light then you may want to consider a tented type solution .  You could again go DIY or there are some commercially available "observatory" style tents available.   

Do you have anything in mind for the structure - would it be purpose build or an adapted/modified commercial shed say.

https://www.telescopehouse.com/Telescope-Accessories/Miscellaneous-Accessories/EXPLORE-SCIENTIFIC-Two-Room-Pop-UP-Observatory-Tent-Weather-protection-for-telescopes.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkkWHlT62iwUKqqm7jevBJDpmTEolY9miXwhbnL_iEdqZTaxc1mGk-xoCH0cQAvD_BwE

http://astrograph.net/Observatory-Tent-3m-x-14m

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ags said:

A dome is just too complicated to build. I could probably do it but don't like the possibility of failure. Another issue is the noise of rotating the dome. A dome is also permanently high, shadowing my northern neighbor's garden.

Hi Agnes,

might you consider building a dome, you are welcome at InFINNity Deck to see how I built it, we live half an hour drive north-west of Schiphol in Castricum (or just click the supplied links).

The sound of a dome should be no issue, ours cannot be heard at all. Only when standing inside the dome or sitting in the library below it, it can be heard, but you need to pay attention to do so.

Downside may indeed be the height, you even may need a permit to build it (I needed it). An observing tent is a nice alternative, but takes time to set-up, which comes in addition to the time to set-up you equipment. A folding roof is an option, but you need to think about folding the panels completely over to at least horizontal, but preferably vertical against the sides. I think a roll-off roof is much easier to implement.

Nicolàs

• Like 1

Did some more 3D modeling today. This is the view from Jupiter:

image.thumb.png.5e7d740e55c9d62ee6d23389d819f051.png

That was ok, but the view from the sitting room was Shed Central:

image.thumb.png.023c1631626b0961d3e448d263f2b816.png

Now looking at if I can make the back right corner work as an observing area. The problem is the grape-clad pergola due south of it and a lovely crab apple tree next to it.

On 06/03/2021 at 23:08, Ags said:

I live in a ground floor apartment, surrounded by neighbors in a land where no one seems to use curtains or blinds. I have 3D light pollution from local light sources, and nearby Schiphol airport and a surrounding city. I often think about a structure to block out the local light pollution. One which I would be able to build anyway. A dome is simply too complicated to build and far too expensive to buy.  A roll off roof is awkward in my space and won't block light from upstairs. Tonight I thought of a flip-lid observatory - if the roof flips up it will provide more shading. Something like this:

image.png.59808831739cb7a36b61bc07dc23b0bf.png

It would even be possible, once the roof is flipped up to hook some canvas along the back  Now I have made a model it does look a bit restrictive, but I could enable the roof section on the side with the human figure to open out a bit wider. Keeping the weight of the roof parts low would be vital of course.

I'd imagine having the roof sections in a vertical position could be problematic if there's a strong breeze, and the canvas sheet would be both noisy and would act like a sail if there's a wind.  When I built my observatory back in April 2011, I decided I'd build the walls high enough to shield me from near by street lighting, which meant giving up some sky nearer the horizon. As my seeing tends to go off below 30° I was happy to give it up. And of course if I ever wanted to get to the horizon, I could always use my scope on a tripod.  I decided to make the roof a ROR on an angle iron H frame. It's worked flawlessly now for ten years.  The pier was constructed out of sheet steel by a local metal worker and I'd hurried in postcrete to the depth of around 20". It is super solid, and cost me a whopping £35. 

123998531_2021-04-1709_14_29.thumb.jpg.452507a4e6f7d08e60fbbec4b172fab1.jpg91529478_2021-04-1709_13_34.thumb.jpg.0569ea799f4a4bdc254cf5e7eb302d61.jpgIMG_20210417_085853.thumb.jpg.b7f693ed9d288f20c5b1b7f5a18db145.jpg

IMG_7748.JPG

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 7

On 07/03/2021 at 15:54, saac said:

Do you have anything in mind for the structure - would it be purpose build or an adapted/modified commercial shed say.

Well... this past weekend I went three rounds with a flat-pack cupboard and barely won, so maybe I will stick to designing and hire someone!

• Like 1