Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus Astro FocusCube v2 - anyone used one?

dannybgoode

This is potentially exciting as having had a good look at the specs of the universal mount version of the FocusCube v2 it may well fit my original TMB CNC focuser which I would love to have autofocusing but am loathe to modify given its pedigree and importance to the integrity of the history of the scope itself.

Before I pull the trigger has anyone used one?  Are they any good?

33 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

This is potentially exciting as having had a good look at the specs of the universal mount version of the FocusCube v2 it may well fit my original TMB CNC focuser which I would love to have autofocusing but am loathe to modify given its pedigree and importance to the integrity of the history of the scope itself.

Before I pull the trigger has anyone used one?  Are they any good?

I own two and I have a friend who also has two. They are great bits of kit and very accurate. The universal bar will fit most scopes but for some you may need to source your own washers and screws as they can only provide so many different types. 

I have used it with an Esprit 100 a Askar 180 and a 130pds. My friend used them on his APM107 with feather touch focuser a WO GT71 and his Askar 180. 

Cameras is probably the wrong place for this thread though.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

Just now, Adam J said:

I own two and I have a friend who also has two. They are great bits of kit and very accurate. The universal bar will fit most scopes but for some you may need to source your own washers and screws as they can only provide so many different types. 

I have used it with an Esprit 100 a Askar 180 and a 130pds. My friend used them on his APM107 with feather touch focuser a WO GT71 and his Askar 180. 

Adam

Thanks Adam.  Yes they look great and if it will fit my TMB then so much the better.  The focuser on it is an oddball thing.  Built like a tank but totally bespoke to the early TMB/LZOZ scopes and they have a single speed rack and pinion gear.  It is helped by the fact the focuser wheels are the size of Mini tyres so you get some fine control and it works well for visual however when doing AP I spend a good chunk of the night trying to find focus on the L filter and then don't bother refocusing after that and the Blue in particular could do with it.

Given I have a Moonlite focuser on my SCT I can just move it across to that as and when also which appeals (although if it works as well as you describe I will probably end up with two!).

1 minute ago, Richie092 said:

Have you seen the new Pegasus focuser? Will need to sell a kidney but a lovely looking piece of kit...

https://pegasusastro.com/products/prodigy-microfocuser/?fbclid=IwAR3QHa13mdppBEtAu9GnUMHn5emAfVeip8e_lK-8K05KekmnO9Pb3uEF2t4

Ooo that's nice.  Looks very similar to this:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/primaluce-lab-esatto-2-robotic-microfocuser.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Thanks Adam.  Yes they look great and if it will fit my TMB then so much the better.  The focuser on it is an oddball thing.  Built like a tank but totally bespoke to the early TMB/LZOZ scopes and they have a single speed rack and pinion gear.  It is helped by the fact the focuser wheels are the size of Mini tyres so you get some fine control and it works well for visual however when doing AP I spend a good chunk of the night trying to find focus on the L filter and then don't bother refocusing after that and the Blue in particular could do with it.

Given I have a Moonlite focuser on my SCT I can just move it across to that as and when also which appeals (although if it works as well as you describe I will probably end up with two!).

The focus cube has easily enough torque not to need placing on a two speed focuser. Some place on you tube they demonstrated the torque by getting one to turn a hog on a spit roast. 

10 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The focus cube has easily enough torque not to need placing on a two speed focuser. Some place on you tube they demonstrated the torque by getting one to turn a hog on a spit roast. 

That's great news.  It's not the torque that was concerning me though as much as just getting something that fits the focuser.  You can see it just about in this photo and it is integral to the scope unlike the later APM ones that use Featherlite units.  You cannot remove it and put something different in its place.

focuser.jpeg

20210305_142513.jpg

Edited by dannybgoode

Just now, dannybgoode said:

That's great news.  It's not the torque that was concerning me though as much as just getting something that fits the focuser.  You can see it just about in this photo and it is integral to the scope unlike the later APM ones that use Featherlite units.  You cannot remove it and put something different in its place.

focuser.jpeg

Can you show a picture of the bottom under the rack and pinion? 

5 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Can you show a picture of the bottom under the rack and pinion? 

I've plopped a second photo in the post above.  The base bit comes off so you can grease and adjust the gear mesh but other than that the rack is integral to the focus tube which in turn is integral to the OTA.

Having printed off a template of the mounting bracket though and having taken a focus wheel off and measured the pin the wheel attaches to I think I will be able to remove two of the allen bolts and use the 6mm coupler that comes with the unit.

I would say it would work. 

26 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I've plopped a second photo in the post above.  The base bit comes off so you can grease and adjust the gear mesh but other than that the rack is integral to the focus tube which in turn is integral to the OTA.

Having printed off a template of the mounting bracket though and having taken a focus wheel off and measured the pin the wheel attaches to I think I will be able to remove two of the allen bolts and use the 6mm coupler that comes with the unit.

I would say that it will fit just remove two of the four as you say and it should then hold the pinion down with pressure through the mounting bracket. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I would say it would work. 

I would say that it will fit just remove two of the four as you say and it should then hold the pinion down with pressure through the mounting bracket. 

Got to be worth a try.  RVO will let me return the unit if for some reason it does not fit but in any event I can use it on my Moonlite I have fitted to my Meade 10" SCT and to be fair that is the more cumbersome thing to try and nail focus with :).

The whole focuser back plate thing in the photo is also held down by the little allen bolt you can see on the side of it near the focus wheel also so should be sturdy.  Will order one and feed back accordingly.  Will dramatically alter my AP workflow for the better if it works...

Quite excited now. As per my 'doh!' post in the Lounge forum I have worked out how I can mount my Moonlite focuser on my TMB very easily and quickly. 

This means I can attach the Pegasus to that as a permanent installation and quickly swap it between my TMB and Meade SCT depending on which scope I am using and not have to worry about changing step ranges etc. 

A few more little tweaks and fiddly jobs to do as well but this I think will be a big step forward for my imaging :)