Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula NGC2244 (Bortle 8)

carastro

Mainly taken with Esprit100 and 0.79 focal reducer/Atik460EX on HEQ5

However it was almost a full Moon and I didn't get a lot of Oiii and Sii and no clear skies forecast in the near future, so I utilised some Oiii and Sii from 2014 done with my WOZS71 and Atik383L, thus increasing the Oiii from 40mins to 2 hours, and the Sii from 40mins to 1 1/2 hours.

Ha entirely from the Esprit/460

Ha 12 x 600 (2h)
Ha 8 x 900 (2h)
Ha 3 x 600 binned x 3 (error!! but decided to combine it). 30mins
Total Ha 4 1/2 hours.

Oiii with Esprit/460 8 x 300 binned 40mins
Oiii with WO/383 9 x 600
Total Oiii 2 hours

Sii Esprit/460 8 x 300 binned 40mins
Sii WO/383 5 x 600 50mins
Total Sii 1 1/2 hours

Total imaging time 8 hours

spacer.png

• Like 33

Those are great! I always like seeing images taken from light polluted skies -- it's amazing how much data can still be pulled out. I've actually just finished the Rosette from my own Bortle 8 location, using Skipper Billy's old Orion Sirius EQ-G mount 😁 

344960079_RosetteNebulafullresolution.thumb.jpg.5851146ba466fa293a5e95c3f2cf36c7.jpg

* Bristol, UK (Bortle 8 )
* Telescope: Askar FRA400 f/5.6 Quintuplet APO Astrograph
* Camera: ZWO ASI 2600MC-PRO
* Filter: Optolong L-eXtreme
* Mount: Orion Sirius EQ-G
* 450 x 120 seconds (total 15 hours)

• Like 3

Thanks every-one.  I keep thinking I have oversharpened the Ha data and made the image too harsh, so I did a re process of the Ha this evening and would value some feedback.

This is the New SHO version.  

Rosette SHO 3rd try.png

• Like 2

Nice work under a bright moon Carole.  When processing many of our choices are aesthetic and there are no rights and wrongs here, just differences.  It is good to see the HOO and the HST side by side since you can see the tiny areas of discrete SII signal.

• Like 1

Well I am feeling reassured now as I thought I had oversharpened the original processes, but generally, most people seem to prefer them.  Not only on here but elsewhere.  So I shall stop fretting about it.

Carole 

• Like 2

Hi Carole, I really like the SHO's especially the first one as it's more striking. A really fantastic Job, and it just goes to show what can be done from light polluted skies! You're making me crave Mono narrow band now for those Moon lit nights 😁 

• Like 1

Hi Chris, narrowband certainly is a life saver where I live, but it is also not only good for Moonlit nights but there are many targets that "reveal themselves" much better in narrowband, plus there is also HaRGB and HaLRGB.

Carole 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, carastro said:

Hi Chris, narrowband certainly is a life saver where I live, but it is also not only good for Moonlit nights but there are many targets that "reveal themselves" much better in narrowband, plus there is also HaRGB and HaLRGB.

Carole 

Hey Carole, I should remind myself all about mono I think. The last Mono camera I owned was something called a Brightstar Mammut (similar to the Atik Titan), and that was way back in about 2011/12 ! lol 

• Like 1