Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To Esprit or not to Esprit - that is the dilemma!

11 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks Adam.

What equipment were you using on the HEQ5? Were you close to the maximum imaging payload, over it etc....?

About 11kg. 

The issues are that the weight quoted for the Esprit 100 dose not include rings and dove tail bar. The provided dove tail is not long enough so you end up getting a bigger one. I had a ASI1600mm pro filter wheel a 50mm finder guider and a auto focuser on mine. 

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

About 11kg. 

The issues are that the weight quoted for the Esprit 100 dose not include rings and dove tail bar. The provided dove tail is not long enough so you end up getting a bigger one. I had a ASI1600mm pro filter wheel a 50mm finder guider and a auto focuser on mine. 

Thanks Adam,

So from what I have learnt on here is that it is 'do-able' but you have to be quite reserved and careful with your accessories potentially.i

I guess what works in my favour although could be considered negligible is that I have a one shot colour so I don't have the additional weight of a filter wheel and filters. I also don't have a EAF at the moment but it is on my list :)

The provided dove tail is not long enough so you end up getting a bigger one.

I agree.  They also provide a Losmandy dovetail, and I am all Vixen, so for 2 reasons I had to buy another one. 

Carole 

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks Adam,

So from what I have learnt on here is that it is 'do-able' but you have to be quite reserved and careful with your accessories potentially.i

I guess what works in my favour although could be considered negligible is that I have a one shot colour so I don't have the additional weight of a filter wheel and filters. I also don't have a EAF at the moment but it is on my list :)

Depends on which OSC some of the larger sensors like the 2600 are quite a bit heavier than a 1600. If I could turn back time I would have kept the HEQ5 pro and gotten a stellarmira 85mm instead but I cornered myself into having to upgrade the mount as I was not going to send the Esprit back. 

33 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Depends on which OSC some of the larger sensors like the 2600 are quite a bit heavier than a 1600. If I could turn back time I would have kept the HEQ5 pro and gotten a stellarmira 85mm instead but I cornered myself into having to upgrade the mount as I was not going to send the Esprit back. 

I have the 533mc pro which I believe is a tad heavier than the 1600 @ 470g.

I don't blame you re: keeping the esprit over sending it back!

Well - I did it!

A few of you must have been sending me button pressing thoughts from afar! 😉

I'm sure with my current setup it will be fine but in the future I may have to upgrade my mount which I can deal with at a later date. Just very excited to have my forever scope turning up in the next 20-30 days! Not to say that it won't be my only forever scope though! 🤣

Thanks to all for putting up with my indecisiveness over the past few days and apologies in advance for the huge amount of clouds and generally rubbish weather for the next few months! 😲

• Like 1

Congrats with the soon to come new scope.  Im also considering what will be my first triplet.
In my situation the scope and mount will be stored inside the house after each session.  The one thing I remembered from the esprit 100, when you’re in the same situation, it wont fit the case with tuberings etc.  Maybe keep an eye open in the mean time for a second longer case! 

Well done on your decision. I am in a similar position wanting to move from a doublet to a triplet but cannot decide on which one as there are so many options. Hopefully the stock issue will improve this year as we come out of lockdown and things return to a bit more normality. Looking forward to seeing what you get on your first light when it arrives.