SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to find the “Field size” of a stacked image and also the “scale” in “/pixel ???

I am just getting into uploading images of Comets to the BAA Comet section.

I have been told that it is useful to add information about the "field size" of my cropped images ( maybe also of the original uncropped version .. not sure about this at the minute! )  and also what the "scale" is in units of "/pixel.

I am racking my brains out trying to how best get this information and I am not getting very far 😞

I am using MaximDL and Astrometrica mainly ... but I have other software tucked away that might be of use.

My equipment is shown in my sig below ... but I can add it here as well ... Scope = APM 123/737 f/6 refractor + Optical flattener , Camera = Moravian G2 Mkii

Does anybody have any suggestions that might point me in the right direction?

Cheers Mike

12 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

... Does anybody have any suggestions that might point me in the right direction?

Cheers Mike

You could upload your image to https://nova.astrometry.net/upload to plate solve, it will give you the information you are probably looking for (image centre and orientation, the image size in arcmin and the pixel scale in arcsec/pixel).

19 hours ago, Seelive said:

You could upload your image to https://nova.astrometry.net/upload to plate solve, it will give you the information you are probably looking for (image centre and orientation, the image size in arcmin and the pixel scale in arcsec/pixel).

Thanks for this .... I found Astrometry.net  worked really well on my full sized images .... however .... it wasn't so happy with cropped images as I don't think that they had enough star images to be able to work properly.

I have now discovered that the "Information" area in MaximDL allows me to get the FOV  for any image ... full sized or cropped in any way.

Just what I need :-)))

Mike