Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could the imagers help with a STEM quiz please?

JOC

As many of you will be aware I am a STEM ambassador.  Due to lockdown the STEM Ambassador group are making online quizzes about all sorts of science based things (doesn't have to be national curriculum).  The quizzes are being done via a Powerpoint platform and typically take the form of a question, 3 options for answers, then the answer given and perhaps a brief factoid about the answer.  There are generally about 10 questions per quizz.

The thing is any images used really need to be sans copyright or with permission for them to use them (I think they OK with citing sources on the slides though) so please note this.

I am constantly amazed at the detailed images all you imagers get of the remarkable deep sky objects and wondered if some of might like to help with the quizzes.  Possibly as in what is the name of this DSO (and possibly even targets on the sun and moon - such as what is this bit of the sun, or where is this crater/name on the moon) or even names of constellations.  (There may even be three quizzes here!).  I don't think we need your most hi-res pictures (the Powerpoint slides need to load in YouTube), so obviously pics that would render well in the Powerpoint slide environment would be sufficient detail.

What do you think, could anyone help with either a joint or solo effort to help bolster interest in the night sky, esp. if it is pointed out that all this has been done from amateur telescopes in people's back yards?  I am constantly amazed at what you all manage to achieve.

I'm thinking you want images of not-too-obscure objects? So maybe the Orion Nebula, M33, M31 (Not one I've done to any standard), possibly the Crab, Perhaps the Dumbell?

I'll have a look through my files for something that more people might know.

• Thanks 1

Hi There, that's great - many thanks.  Sorry I didn't realise that anyone had posted - I'm used to getting notifications instantly when starting a new thread - now I see that I have to switch on 'follow topic' which I hadn't done.  Good job I checked back anyway 🙂  Yes, those are the sorts of things I had in mind.  Also, those things with funny 'everyday' names, like the triangulum galaxy above (I love that it's not a triangle!) and as noted above those nebulas with everyday names like dumb-bell, horsehead and catseye - yes and the crab as noted above etc.   Anything along those lines would be great.  As I note above I don't think many people realise that such pictures can be obtained from earth from peoples own kit - I certainly didn't realise until I joined SGL.

Edited by JOC

18 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

You can use any of mine if you wish.

have a look here

astrobin/users/ibbo

Many thanks for the offer - I've got a busy day today, but I'll have look when I get a few minutes and get back to you once I've found some to use.  🙂

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

It is real, although pseudo colour and some sharpening of solar detail by stacking segments of the same 1000 frame sequence without interfering birds has been done. The movie is here

That is quite superb - I must have missed it previously, well done.  I bet you were pleased with the final result.

• Like 1

You are welcome to download any of my images and use them freely without crediting.

Click on any image and it will take you to the full res version on Flickr which you can download.

https://www.davidbanksastro.com/widefield-imaging

https://www.davidbanksastro.com/deep-space-objects

https://www.davidbanksastro.com/home

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, carastro said:

I'd offer mine but you seem to have enough offers.  I think I owe you one for the loan of the lab coat. 

Thanks Carole, as you note it I shall probably be spoilt for choice when I get around to looking through the webpages offered above, but thanks for responding.  I love the way that a lot of the 'common' names for these things are because of what they resemble, like catseye, dumbell, ring, horsehead that's why I think they will make fun as well as informative subjects for a quiz.

• Like 1

One cloudly night, at our local Astro Soc, we tried a new quiz:
Guess the object from the (typical) Book description! It is not
quite as "impossible" as you might think? (No pics needed). 😛

Or maybe it just we oldies were brought up on the same (few)
Astronomy Books... Or just it's cloudy, rather a lot, locally?!? 🤣

Edited by Macavity

I love the way that a lot of the 'common' names for these things are because of what they resemble

On that basis, what about these?

Wizard Nebula

spacer.png

Rosette Nebula

spacer.png

North America Nebula (one on the left) & Pelican nebula (on right) 

spacer.png

Flying Dragon

spacer.png

Tulip nebula

spacer.png

Monkey Head Nebula (rotate 90 degrees anticlockwise to see it)

spacer.png

Thor's Helmet Nebula

spacer.png

Dark Shark nebula

spacer.png

Seagull Nebula

spacer.png

The Bubble Nebula

spacer.png

The Pacman nebula

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

On that basis, what about these?

Oh, yes - they are ideal Carole  🙂 - I must admit I'd never heard of half of those myself!

• Like 1

You are welcome to use those JOC, If you want me to rotate the Monkey head let me know.

Easier names than remembering the catalogue numbers.  Lol

But if you need those too I can supply. 

Carole