Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer Pro won't work with ball head

Hi all 

I'm new to tracking and just purchased my first star tracker - I'm sure given the subject line that you've guessed it's the Star Adventurer.

I am using a DSLR with a 135mm prime lens - way within the payload limit.

I've researched quite a bit before buying and thought I knew what to expect but this problem is strange and need some advice of anyone is willing to help.

Again, from the subject bar, the problem is that I polar align, put the ball head straight onto the tracker (as I mentioned above way within the payload limit) and turn it on to standard sidereal rate band the following happens.

1. There is motor whirring and the tracker rotates for approx 5 seconds

2. The motor stops

3. The mode dial starts to flash at a quick rate indicating  a motor speed error

An additional point is that when I add the full bracket with the fine tuning mount assembly it seems to be fine. It is rotating with no error warnings... This is really frustrating. 

Is my purchase faulty or am I getting something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Not sure of the spec but a DSLR and a 135mm prime must be quite heavy, I'd be inclined to use the L bracket and counter balance.

Quite a few users with your mount on here so I'm sure someone will have a better idea of what it's capabilities are.

Hope you get sorted soon 🤞🏻

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonDotCon said:

Hi, thanks for your reply - much appreciated

I maybe have this backwards then - I thought a DSLR and lens would be ok to add directly to the tracker... 

They are, but....  

The issue is trying to balance in that combination.  For the tracker to 'track correctly/accurately the payload needs to be balanced.  By having the camera and lens attached directly to the tracker (with the round green attachment I assume?) the payload center of gravity will be well forward of the mount.  If using a camera and a small lens this will be ok but for bigger lenses such as your 135mm this can cause problems.

However it does seem like something else is going on here. Even with that unbalanced load the tracker should still appear to track/rotate ok without any flashing error lights..  How are you powering the mount?

I would guess this is a power issue.  When you have used the dovetail bar the camera and lens are probably reasonably balanced so the tracker motor is not having to work very hard. By having it unbalanced the motor is working a lot harder so maybe there is not enough power for it to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts are pretty similar to chefgage above, maybe it's a power supply issue, but probably more to the off balance of the load.  How much weight are you attaching to the unit, so between lens, camera, whatever accessories (rings/lens hood/etc) and the weight of the ball head as well you are using?

• Thanks 1

Bear in mind the star adventurer mount can take quite a bit of weight.  I use mine with a dslr attached to an skywatcher ed72 scope.  The scope has a dual bracket attached which to that is attached a finderscope and guide scope. So a fair bit of weight there and it still tracks nicely.  So my bet is still a power issue not helped by the load being not balanced.

Thanks for the replies. The weight of the camera lens and ball head is under 3 kilos.

It makes sense now you mention it that it is a combination of power and balance. I ran a test inside last night and it tracked great with the full dovetail and counter weight - shame I couldn't make use of the clear night!

I was using rechargeable AA's that weren't new so maybe that didn't help - although when I was connected to the ap it showed as over 5v.

I'll try with some brand new batteries with the same payload (Just the green attachment and a ball head) and see if that helps.

Again, thanks for your answers. It's a frustrating hobby when in the learning phase, but can't wait to see those tracked images on my computer

• Like 2

Without the dec bar and balance, I'd say getting on to 3kg would be pushing it a bit; but as Chefgage says these things can soak a lot more well when balanced.

33 minutes ago, JonDotCon said:

I was using rechargeable AA's that weren't new so maybe that didn't help - although when I was connected to the ap it showed as over 5v.

That sounds odd as supplied voltage on a rechargeable AA is ~1.2v unless there's some power management happening on board; the fresh set of batteries would be a good test or using a mobile phone charger plugged in to the USB port (a wall plug to test with, as the Star Adventurer may not pull enough current normally to keep a portable awake, and that would only murk the water a bit more).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonDotCon said:

Thanks for your reply @BCN_Sean.

Just for my knowledge, I assume the  voltage displayed in the bottom right is the voltage available to the tracker? These are the same batteries I was trying to use last night 

It would seem so, I had to check though as I'd not noticed (or more probably not paid attention to it) before.

I'm still scratching my head to how a set of rechargeable batteries are showing that voltage, and dropped it on my to look at list, when I get the time.

It'd probably be better off still checking it with a different power supply as I've had issues with rechargeable cells before in situations where there is low current draw, the voltage is ok but as soon as the current draw increases things bottom out quickly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BCN_Sean said:

Without the dec bar and balance, I'd say getting on to 3kg would be pushing it a bit; but as Chefgage says these things can soak a lot more well when balanced.

That sounds odd as supplied voltage on a rechargeable AA is ~1.2v unless there's some power management happening on board; the fresh set of batteries would be a good test or using a mobile phone charger plugged in to the USB port (a wall plug to test with, as the Star Adventurer may not pull enough current normally to keep a portable awake, and that would only murk the water a bit more).

I have read people having issues with rechargeables. With the rechargeable being 1.2v so giving 4.8v total this has caused some people some issues. I do use rechargeables and have no issues (maybe some makes are definitely  better than others). I did start using one of my power packs to power the mount using a usb output on the power bank. I then noticed I was getting very bad star trails after a certain time. I believe this was because if what you mentioned about the mount not drawing much power so the output on the power bank shuts down. I went back to the rechargeables and have not had a problem since.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help. I've been using the forum a lot while researching, but I appreciate the replys for my first post. 

I'll update the thread with the results of my test later

• Like 2

I hope you get it resolved @JonDotCon, and please do let us know the result as what may be a frustration for you now could help someone else down the line; the most frustrating and yet intriguing thing about this hobby is how much there is to learn, and each little nugget shared and head scratching session resolved is there for the next one along.

8 hours ago, Chefgage said:

I have read people having issues with rechargeables. With the rechargeable being 1.2v so giving 4.8v total this has caused some people some issues. I do use rechargeables and have no issues (maybe some makes are definitely  better than others). I did start using one of my power packs to power the mount using a usb output on the power bank. I then noticed I was getting very bad star trails after a certain time. I believe this was because if what you mentioned about the mount not drawing much power so the output on the power bank shuts down. I went back to the rechargeables and have not had a problem since.

Some makes are definitely better than others (something like Eneloop Pro, whilst not cheap certainly deliver), and also how tired the batteries are; and the other thing what people tend to do with rechargeable batteries is to buy a box of say 12, and then just mix and match them so instead of levelling the use on a set of say 4, one could have more use on it and bring the rest in to disrepute.  Also, there's the potential for memory effect where the batteries aren't discharged before recharging so that can affect things too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCN_Sean said:

please do let us know the result as what may be a frustration for you now could help someone else down the line

Definitely!

Well I'm pleased to update on this issue noobie error though it maybe....

I was using EBL rechargeable batteries from Amazon and I was getting the error indication above - btw I have since weighed the total payload and it was 1.9kg.

Tonight I have put in new batteries (Aldi own brand - I've used these before for my celestron lcm114 and were great) and the good news is that it's perfectly fine - and the voltage is showing over 6. I can only assume that it was exactly what was advised. Unbalanced payload with a power supply issue from the rechargeable batteries.

Again, thanks for the help people. It is a frustrating hobby, but I kind of think that that frustration is part of the fun when it gets resolved. Only one thing left; anyone know how to get rid of these clouds...?

Screenshot_20210304-194737.png

PXL_20210304_194758386.jpg

• Like 3

Glad to hear that one is sorted!

8 minutes ago, JonDotCon said:

Only one thing left; anyone know how to get rid of these clouds...?

You and me both, everything was nice and clear here until bits started to arrive; and I reckon now it'll be cloudy until May!

• Haha 1