Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

15x70 Quandary

Stardaze

I have probably procrastinated too long, having wanted a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70's to be able to utilise the flitter threads, but alas they seem to be changing them and ditching the threads. I have a pair of 10x50's but wanted something a bit more powerful to complement. So if the threaded Apollo's are no more (there doesn't seem to be stock anywhere now) then what's the options? Maybe the Stellar II's or the Skymaster Pro's seemed to get a stronger overall write up from Steve@BinocularSky? Or maybe the Stellar ii 16x80 for that bit more again? Pushing the budget nearer £400, I don't think is where I am at at the minute having not used anything higher than x10 before, so sub £250 seems a reasonable budget to see how they work out for me. What's the consensus? 

Oh it appears that I am very lucky in that I do have a pair of Helios Apollos. It's not a gloat (it is) but a few thoughts - I've only ever used the filter threads a couple of times and it's not been something that I found mind blowing at the time so for me it's a 'nice to have' not essential in bins. Also as you are used to a 10 x 50 view, would it not be a good idea to get an available pair of 15 x 70's like a Celestron or Revelation for now so you can see if you like using them? For about £70 you can experience the wonders and then keep a look out on the pre used market.  I found the so called 'budget' bins a lot lighter and easier to handle and a nicely aligned pair are a big step up from the 10 x 50's (can always sell as well)

I spent ages researching bins a few years ago and read a great review on some expensive Pentax which when I bought and used were very disappointing and felt like light blockers! I took them back next day... You are doing the right thing asking users on this site... I hope the comments you get help for final choices 🙂 

• Thanks 1

The 70mm Stella ii are very nice, they produce brilliant crisp images  and much lighter than the Apollo's if I remember rightly. You'll probably have to use a tripod for the 15's but I have used the x11's handheld loads of time with good results...  But they don't have filter threads.. neither do the celestrons - which are really only about 63mm (I could be wrong ) - so something to think about there...

You could also look at the Lightquests? - although the money takes a jump on those..

The Opticrons are another option - again I think they are also reduced, but have great reviews for the money...

There are almost too many choices - enough to send you mad 

Let us know how you get on 

Mark

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Patbloke said:

Oh it appears that I am very lucky in that I do have a pair of Helios Apollos. It's not a gloat (it is) but a few thoughts - I've only ever used the filter threads a couple of times and it's not been something that I found mind blowing at the time so for me it's a 'nice to have' not essential in bins. Also as you are used to a 10 x 50 view, would it not be a good idea to get an available pair of 15 x 70's like a Celestron or Revelation for now so you can see if you like using them? For about £70 you can experience the wonders and then keep a look out on the pre used market.  I found the so called 'budget' bins a lot lighter and easier to handle and a nicely aligned pair are a big step up from the 10 x 50's (can always sell as well)

I spent ages researching bins a few years ago and read a great review on some expensive Pentax which when I bought and used were very disappointing and felt like light blockers! I took them back next day... You are doing the right thing asking users on this site... I hope the comments you get help for final choices 🙂 

3 hours ago, mark81 said:

The 70mm Stella ii are very nice, they produce brilliant crisp images  and much lighter than the Apollo's if I remember rightly. You'll probably have to use a tripod for the 15's but I have used the x11's handheld loads of time with good results...  But they don't have filter threads.. neither do the celestrons - which are really only about 63mm (I could be wrong ) - so something to think about there...

You could also look at the Lightquests? - although the money takes a jump on those..

The Opticrons are another option - again I think they are also reduced, but have great reviews for the money...

There are almost too many choices - enough to send you mad 

Let us know how you get on 

Mark

Thanks for your input gents. I have decent tripods etc and monopod so the weight wasn't so much a factor really. I'm tempted by the Stellar ii's; FLO have said that a pair of Apollo's would be April. 

I've used the stella 16x80s before and was impressed by the way they performed.. Brilliant for widefield as there is a lot of light gathering power there.... But if I had the choice I would stick with a pair of 70's, many people love the 80s but by then, your in 'small telescope territory' and if you have to take a tripod out with you I would rather take a small scope and have a variety of ep's for different mags.(but that's just me) if I went for a bigger pair than 70s I personally save up and get some 45 or 90 degree 100mm for the ultimate experience and comfort... But like I've said, it's all personal choice...

If you like the 80mm Stella's and don't mind the straight through viewing on a monopod - you won't be disappointed...

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark81 said:

I've used the stella 16x80s before and was impressed by the way they performed.. Brilliant for widefield as there is a lot of light gathering power there.... But if I had the choice I would stick with a pair of 70's, many people love the 80s but by then, your in 'small telescope territory' and if you have to take a tripod out with you I would rather take a small scope and have a variety of ep's for different mags.(but that's just me) if I went for a bigger pair than 70s I personally save up and get some 45 or 90 degree 100mm for the ultimate experience and comfort... But like I've said, it's all personal choice...

If you like the 80mm Stella's and don't mind the straight through viewing on a monopod - you won't be disappointed...

Mark

Think I do prefer 15x70s too to be honest.

I’ve ordered the Stellar 15x70’s but going to have to wait until the end of the month. Also added a bino bandit as they seem to be all the rage at the moment too. 

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 2