SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Running 2 x EFW3 in SGPro - crashing

tooth_dr

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what’s happening when I try to run two filterwheels.

The serial numbers come up ok showing two distinct entities.

I choose Atik filter wheel in one instance of SGPro and set up in equipment profile.  In the second instance I choose wheel 2 and set it up in equipment profile ensuring I choose the other serial number.

However the wheels don’t work properly and crash shortly after I move them once.  I get disconnect messages in SGPeo.  It’s then impossible to reconnect with a restart.  It also caused my Atik camera to disconnect last night and wouldn’t reconnect.

Any help appreciated - does anyone run two Atik EFWs? Considering changing to NINA but have made so many changes recently I couldn’t really deal with that  

Thanks

Adam  

Edited by tooth_dr

Still not working in any software program including Atiks own Dusk!

So I’m concluding it’s the latest 5.x Ascom/drivers that are dodgy.  I ran 2 x EFWs previously (a EFW2 and a EFW3) on an older version of the Atik software. I’ll try to find the 4.x version and see if it helps. 

22 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I’m concluding it’s the latest 5.x Ascom/drivers that are dodgy

I now realise that this isnt the case, and the fault lies at my end.  I changed out to a different hub (Startech 4 x USB2.0) and the problem still persisted.  So I changed to a different power cable, and that seems to have resolved the issue.  I was able to connect all the kit, including the 2 x EFW3s and run off a few filter changes with no issues.  The camera 16200 worked 100%, and I took 48 darks last night.  Got up this morning and all was still connected and functional.

Hopefully I can mark this issue as resolved :D

• Like 1

I also deleted the drivers and installed the older legacy version.  I cannot definitively say that the new version works, but it's very  likely.  I am however going to stay on 4.x until otherwise required to upgrade.

I must admit I generally cop out when I have duplicate equipment connection problems and run two laptops, but this of course prevents synchronised dithering.

I have however, recently persevered with NINA and now have everything connected through one laptop and have synchronised dithering working. At one point when I was struggling I went back to SGP but had forgotten all the set up routines so wasted more precious clear sky time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tomato said:

I must admit I generally cop out when I have duplicate equipment connection problems and run two laptops, but this of course prevents synchronised dithering.

I have however, recently persevered with NINA and now have everything connected through one laptop and have synchronised dithering working. At one point when I was struggling I went back to SGP but had forgotten all the set up routines so wasted more precious clear sky time.

I have NINA downloaded, but havent got around to setting it up yet.  I've had enough of SGPro, too many places to enter details - equipment profile and then in control panel, etc.  The new profile choice on opening APT if a nice touch, and I have now it set up for my cameras/EFWs/focuser combinations.

The SGP detail settings make sense as long as you know how they're applied. The Control Panel available in the sequence and in Equipment Profile is the same. If control panel is opened via 'Tools / Equipment Profile Manager' it lets you edit the profiles and not the sequence details, and if Control Panel is selected when you have a sequence open it lets you edit the sequence details and not the profile.

This may seem confusing but there is logic to it.

If you select 'File / New Sequence with Profile' all the equipment settings of that profile are copied to that sequence and saved as part of the .sgf file when you save the sequence. Any changes you make when the sequence is open only affect that sequence and are saved each time you save the sequence. The Equipment Profile that sequence was originally created from is not changed.

If you select 'File / New Sequence' then the 'default profile' settings are copied to the sequence to be used as above.

Next time, when you load the sequence all the equipment settings are loaded from the .sgf file and are displayed in the Control Panel. You may have changed the Equipment profiles in the meantime but this won't affect the loaded sequence, the Control Panel will show the equipment settings saved with the sequence. This avoids any profile changes you may have done in the meantime from possibly affecting the sequence and causing problems.

You may have changed your equipment in the meantime and also changed the Equipment Profiles, such that the equipment details stored in the .sgf file are not valid and you can't connect to them. You can update the equipment details stored in the sequence to an existing profile using 'File / Apply Profile To Sequence' and resaving the sequence.

Likewise you may have tinkered with the settings in a sequence and would prefer to use these settings in future sequences. You can select 'File / Save Sequence As Profile' to create a new Equipment Profile from that sequence.

You can then use 'Tools / Equipment Profile Manager' to rename, delete Profiles or chose the new one as the Default Profile as you wish.

Personally, if I want to create a new sequence with a new target, I have the last sequence loaded and then use 'Tools / Framing and Mosaic Wizard' to append the new target to the current sequence. Then in the Sequencer Panel right click on the new target and select 'Copy Events From...' the previous target, then delete the previous target and save the sequence under a new target name. Then all the Equipment profile and Sequence settings are saved for the new target.

SGP gets a lot of negative comments since its pricing change but I'm still happy with it. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, symmetal said:

The SGP detail settings make sense as long as you know how they're applied. The Control Panel available in the sequence and in Equipment Profile is the same. If control panel is opened via 'Tools / Equipment Profile Manager' it lets you edit the profiles and not the sequence details, and if Control Panel is selected when you have a sequence open it lets you edit the sequence details and not the profile.

I didnt realise this, but that makes sense.  I just wasnt able to work that one out myself.  I usually open a new instance then click 'File / New Sequence with Profile' and that would apply those settings stored in the equipment profile.

I'm happy with SGPro the version 3.2.x I have :D but everything is just so much more complicated with 2 or even three cameras running so I'm looking for an easy life.

• Like 1