Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Takahashi

1 minute ago, John said:

Good targets !

Moonrise is 2:28 am though so it will be the early hours until it's high enough to be worth a look.

Some nice triple stars would include Beta Monocerotis and Iota Cassiopeia. Sigma Orionis (just below the belt) is a quadruple with a mag 9 faintest member so a nice challenge.

Messier 35 in Gemini is a great low power open cluster.

Have fun !

Thanks John! Brilliant - I’ll include those too. I’m not sure if I’ll last until the moon is up but we can always hope. I’m just chuffed that finally I’ll be able to look through it rather than at it 👍🏻

• Like 5

I remember reading in TLAO that the Tarantula Nebula ‘exceeds superlatives’.

That’s how I feel after a night with the FC76-DCU. I can’t believe how utterly magical the views were through it. My observing plan went to pot as there was some high cloud north and east until about midnight, but south was clear. The first target I aimed at was M42, reasonably low in the sky by the time I started. It is my favourite thing to observe and I’ve enjoyed observing it with the various scopes I have owned (10” LX200, 127 Mak and recently the 102ED-R). I don’t think I’ve ever seen views that were more beautiful than through the FC76-DCU. M42 was almost luminous with velvety blackness around it (I now understand this description having at last looked through a Tak). I had a look at Sigma Orionis and the Pleiades and then tried M81/82 but unfortunately the cloud made things too difficult. With luck, tonight will be better and I’ll have another go. 

I must admit, I didn’t think such a small scope would be that good. I’m absolutely delighted with it and I think it’ll be used a lot at home as well as for travel. Imagine what the views are like through the bigger Taks if the FC76 is that good!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I must admit, I didn’t think such a small scope would be that good. I’m absolutely delighted with it and I think it’ll be used a lot at home as well as for travel. Imagine what the views are like through the bigger Taks if the FC76 is that good!

Yup, I’m afraid that’s what happens Nicola 😊

Great report and really pleased you are enjoying your new Tak.

• Like 2

On 02/03/2021 at 17:25, jock1958 said:

Go on press that button you won't regret it, once you've bought the FS-60CB you can invest in a CQ 1.7x Extender then you have an FS-60Q......only trying to help 😉

IMG_1277.jpeg

Where did you get those really long Slo-mo cables from? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

M42 was almost luminous with velvety blackness around it (I now understand this description having at last looked through a Tak).

Great report!

Your scope will show M42's "lower loop" easily under dark skies and the North American nebula will be stunning as well, among many others. My limited experience with Takahashi telescopes has shown me they can offer superb contrast and transmission on DSO while offering near unlimited magnification on the moon and planets.

And yes, I see no scatter in mine as well- as the velvety blackness description nicely relates which is a Tak characteristic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great report!

Your scope will show M42's "lower loop" easily under dark skies and the North American nebula will be stunning as well, among many others. My limited experience with Takahashi telescopes has shown me they can offer superb contrast and transmission on DSO while offering near unlimited magnification on the moon and planets.

And yes, I see no scatter in mine as well- as the velvety blackness description nicely relates which is a Tak characteristic.

Thanks @jetstream, the North America Is a great idea. I actually haven’t ever seen it so am looking forward to that.

M42 was even better last night with a much clearer sky. My views south are stunning with very dark skies so I’m probably spoilt in the views I get of M42. I’m glad you agree about the superior contrast with these targets. I’m afraid I was being biased towards the Tak but I really don’t think so. Hoping for another clear night tomorrow to round off the weekend nicely. Clear skies to you too!

• Like 2

On 04/04/2021 at 15:26, Nicola Fletcher said:

I actually haven’t ever seen it so am looking forward to that.

Theres more- you will easily see  Barnards Loop with a quality Hb in your scope- its absolutely perfect for this, start near M78 and once found and observed numerous times try no filter. You scope will show it no filter.

While in the area observe the huge Meissa nebula, your scope will outperform my TSA120 on this one, use a top OIII or UHC. The whole Veil neb will be a piece of cake in this scope too.

Exit pupil matters for this stuff as you likely know and lightweight 2" eyepieces are a goto.

theres more...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jetstream said:

Theres more- you will easily see  Barnards Loop with a quality Hb in your scope- its absolutely perfect for this, start near M78 and once found and observed numerous times try no filter. You scope will show it no filter.

While in the area observe the huge Meissa nebula, your scope will outperform my TSA120 on this one, use a top OIII or UHC. The whole Veil neb will be a piece of cake in this scope too.

Exit pupil matters for this stuff as you likely know and lightweight 2" eyepieces are a goto.

theres more...

Thanks @jetstream - more shopping and observing ideas - great!

For this scope, at the moment I’m building up my 1.25” kit, but I do need to get some filters. I have my eye on the TSA120 with 2” EPs though 🤗

Oh I hope we get plenty of clear skies this summer!!

• Like 2