Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Autoguiding problem

Hi All

I don't know if anyone can help, but I'm having problems using APT, PHD2 and an Orion StarShoot on an EQMOD controlled HEQ5 mount. As a relative newcomer to EQMOD I've been amazed how well the system works, except for autoguiding. I set up as per instructions and although it works well for 30 secs, both RA and DEC then start rapidly losing control. I tried adjusting all the parameters on the PHD2 start page, but with no effect. It will probably be something simple that I'm not doing, but it's got me stumped.

Any suggestions gratefully received

In what way is it loosing control of the RA & DEC, are there any alerts on PHD2? A screen shot may help, also if you could upload the log file as well.

Have you calibrated PHD2 before you start guiding, it asks you when you start for the first time but then you can hold the Shift key down as you click on the Guide button (round green target) and it will open the calibration window.

Once calibrated, it's also worth running the Guide Assistant in PHD2 and leave it for about 5 minutes, and include backlash, to see what recommended settings it gives you.

2 hours ago, nimrod70 said:

Hi All

I don't know if anyone can help, but I'm having problems using APT, PHD2 and an Orion StarShoot on an EQMOD controlled HEQ5 mount. As a relative newcomer to EQMOD I've been amazed how well the system works, except for autoguiding. I set up as per instructions and although it works well for 30 secs, both RA and DEC then start rapidly losing control. I tried adjusting all the parameters on the PHD2 start page, but with no effect. It will probably be something simple that I'm not doing, but it's got me stumped.

Any suggestions gratefully received

How good is your polar alignment? Can you move the mount through PHD?

Need a little more information.  How are you hooking all the equipment together? Are you using an EQDIR cable between the PC and mount, or running via the handset in PC-Direct mode?  Are you using USB for the camera, or ST4 connection for guiding?  How are you powering the mount?  Lastly are you using direct connections or a USB hub and is the hub powered or not?

If you could also give details of the mount, and guiding method (guidescope or OAG) you are using....It all helps to get an idea and then we may be better placed to offer advice

All excellent suggestions. I would add that for best results, you should calibrate near the meridian and celestial equator, then run the Guiding Assistant  on  your target for  a  few minutes and see  what it recommends.