SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finderscope choice

Hi all,

I have an 8inch dob and I have purchased the below to replace my straight through finder:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

I have been having a lot of issues with using this as I am using turn left at orion which shows all of the finderscope images upside down with left/right reversed which is the opposite of my finderscope.

I know maps are available online but for convivence-sake I am considering replacing the finder.   Am I able to get a right angled finder which matches the view through my dob, my original straight through finderscope, and my maps in turn left at orion?

I've seen the SkyWatcher 9x50 Right Angled Finderscope which I believe has left/right reversed but shows an upright image, is this correct?  

Thanks in advance

24 minutes ago, ch00se said:

Hi all,

I have an 8inch dob and I have purchased the below to replace my straight through finder:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

I have been having a lot of issues with using this as I am using turn left at orion which shows all of the finderscope images upside down with left/right reversed which is the opposite of my finderscope.

I know maps are available online but for convivence-sake I am considering replacing the finder.   Am I able to get a right angled finder which matches the view through my dob, my original straight through finderscope, and my maps in turn left at orion?

I've seen the SkyWatcher 9x50 Right Angled Finderscope which I believe has left/right reversed but shows an upright image, is this correct?  

Thanks in advance

Why not rotate the book 180 degrees? I find a RACI finder much easier to use than others

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Why not rotate the book 180 degrees? I find a RACI finder much easier to use than others

excellent idea.  sounds silly but i never considered doing that as i only recently figured out that east is west and west is east.  this should sort a lot of my problems to be honest so thanks.

If you are using an app like SkySafari (on a mobile at the scope), you can add the FOV of the finder onto the display. It makes star-hopping a cinch. Obviously you'll need to have it in night-mode and low brightness. I find it's fine as long as you are not in a proper dark-site. Otherwise, I'm looking to add a physical red-filter to a cheap astro-tablet (Play-store enabled Kindle Fire)

The fact that the finder is correct-image makes it simpler to use IMHO, especially as it matches my binocular view.

I know what you mean.

I replaced the straight-through finder with a RACI to reduce bending down and this has worked. However my ideal would have been a none-correcting RACI.

What has helped is a low power (42mm), wide angle (65°) eyepiece which does the job of the straight through finder.

Edited by Spile