SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help identify this - Taurus?

RobH2020

Hi all,

I wondered if you could help me with a very easy identification - see my right-side up drawing (same as binoculars) below.

I'm pretty sure this is the Hyades in Taurus as it's right next to Alderaan. Looks like a bull's head to me too.

But it looks nothing like the star charts or proper photos of Hyades. It's massively distinctive from my location, can spot it easily with binoculars, so it'd be good to properly identify it. 

image.thumb.png.155dd95febb73986aaec92d17b29ae97.png

Looks nothing like this... obviously this is a decent astrophotography image so there are a lot more stars, but i thought i'd be able to see my stars in there! Makes me think that it isn't the right thing!

Bull's head: The Hyades star cluster | Favorite Star Patterns | EarthSky

Edited by RobH2020
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bingevader said:

Looks good to me. :)

Thanks Ben! that means - you think it is Hyades? Any idea why it doesn't seem to look anything like the star charts or others' photos of hyades?

3 hours ago, RobH2020 said:

Thanks Ben! that means - you think it is Hyades? Any idea why it doesn't seem to look anything like the star charts or others' photos of hyades?

Yes I do! :D

I just rotated your drawing same as Carole has done.

I don't think you are being fair on yourself to say that it doesn't seem to look anything like the star charts.

I just pulled it up in Stellarium, and would consider your sketch a pretty good match.

:)