SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First try with star adventurer

Hi Everyone 

So last night i had my first go with my star adventurer.

Canon 6D and Samyang 135mm

30 second subs (I've only done 2 second subs before)

I haven't seen the images on my pc yet but from the preview the background sky was very bright.

I shot at iso 1600 and f2.8

So if i want to make sure the background isn't so bright should i lower the f stop or iso or both?

Thanks Rob

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RobST said:

Hi Everyone 

So last night i had my first go with my star adventurer.

Canon 6D and Samyang 135mm

30 second subs (I've only done 2 second subs before)

I haven't seen the images on my pc yet but from the preview the background sky was very bright.

I shot at iso 1600 and f2.8

So if i want to make sure the background isn't so bright should i lower the f stop or iso or both?

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob 

I'm new to all this to and waiting on delivery of my star adventurer late March. Its worth just playing around with the iso 800 maybe better at 2.8f. If you can look at the histogram on your dslr the peak should be around 1/4 to a third way along to the right is best if I recall rightly, but could be wrong. I know the higher iso the more noise generated. Maybe try iso 1600 at 3.5f. Look forward to the results, I'm hopefully clear skies tonight and will be trying Orion again. Last night I was using my Canon 450d on lx2 mini track 50mm prime lens iso 1600 3.5f 1 min subs and my sky appeared bright but the histogram was 1/4 to 1/3 along, so tonight I'm trying iso 800 at 3.5f 1 min sub to note the difference. Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7
Addition
  • Like 2

There was a bright Moon last night, the brighter the sky the more you need to reduce ISO and exposure time to avoid over-exposing any details. ISO 800 would probably have been better last night, but brightness can always be adjusted when processing the images. It can be counter-productive to reduce the ISO below about 400 (depending on the camera model) as it starts discarding signal. From a very dark site I can exposure for 2 minutes at f2 and ISO 1600, but I tend to use ISO 800 with the very fast Samyang lens. As Lee says, adjusting the exposure so the peak is roughly 1/4-1/3 across the histogram is good, it can be brought up by pressing the 'info' button when reviewing a picture.

Hope that's some help and good luck with the imaging.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys folks.

I'm so used to using a high iso (3200) and fast f 2.8 because I'm usually stacking 2sec subs so even with those settings and a bright moon i have never had a problem with a bright background 😁

Lot's of practice to be done with my star adventurer so thanks for the help

• Like 1