sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

SGL 2021 Challenge 2 - The cosmos in motion

The Earth spins on it's axis whilst it orbits the Sun and is in turn orbited by the moon.  Planets wander, comets appear and disappear, one body occludes another.  This challenge is to visually show this motion.  It could be, for instance, with star trails, time lapse animation, a sequence of images taken over several nights .

As always, data must be gathered between 1st March and 31st May.  Good luck!

Please post entries directly into this thread

• Like 9
  • 1 month later...

Well, someone has to kick this off!

Taken on the night 14th-15th March this is the foreground stack of an image of the aurora and Milkyway over Bjørnafjorden, Western Norway. The stack consists of 3x180 sec of exposure with a Samyang 14mm wide open at f2.8 on a Nikon D600. Didn't really intend to use this as a star trail image but it does have some charm!

1195235013_AuroraBjrnafjordenforeground.thumb.jpg.b82f120b33d0d5ffaef10cd80c336919.jpg

• Like 5

I crunched my way up to Stanage Edge on the 6th to have a go at some Startrails and Millstones. Crunched because the ground was covered in hail stones from the afternoon and the temperature was perishing so it was a good job I had a mince pie and a cream egg to keep me going 😏

Nikon Z6, Nikkor 20mm, tripod, Neewer remote timer, Yongnuo RF603N II ( Fantastic for light painting away from the camera ) and a very expensive light ... a stunning £ 1.99 torch from B & M !

35 x 2 minutes for the stars at f4 and ISO 640 and 9 individual light painted images for the foreground at 15 seconds, f4 and ISO 800.

All processing in Lightroom for a tweak or two and assembled in PS using layers in blend mode lighten and more tweaking. It takes a while to load 44 images as layers in PS !

Around 2 hours to image and even more to process.

Dave.

Stanage Edge Cirlces and Millstones..jpg

Edited by davew
  • Like 11

Well last night was a lovely clear sky so decided to head up to that not so famous tree to take a photo of the night sky with a friend, after nearly running out of puff many times on the hills up and down we finally made it and set up to enjoy the glory of the dark skies in our area it was so clear that at one point it was mentioned it looks like you could reach out and to the stars i haven't seen it so clear in a while.

StarStaX_DSC_0906-DSC_1198_lighten.jpg

• Like 5

We had our willow tree pollarded in April so I grabbed this quick picture before it sprouts back to life. When stood in the dark you could feel its presence behind you.  About 2hours of 30 second exposures stacked with Sony A7R3 and Sigma 14-24 2.8 lens. Taken 12th April 2021.

_A7R7188.thumb.jpg.13294c9d37ed8396481655209be4f2e9.jpg