Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette and Cone Nebula wide field

Magnum

Rosette and Cone Nebula wide field. I came across a great image of this area today and thought now that's a nice field, so rushed out when I got home and managed to capture a quick 90 mins of data tonight before Orion went behind our trees. 9 x 10 mins with my Samyang 135mm f2 lens @ f2.8 & Atik 383L CCD camera + Baader 7nm ha filter. Guided, captured, stacked and stretched in MaximDL, processed in Photoshop. Work in progress along with a few other projects ive got going around Orion at the moment, but quickly running out of time for this season so may have to wait until the next winter to finish them.

Lee

rosetteatik383samyang135small copy.jpg

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 26

That's a glory, Lee! The Samyang lens is a stunning asset to astrophotography. In conjunction with Starnet for star reduction it must be the definitive widefield setup. 90 mins with a 7nm filter is incredible.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a glory, Lee! The Samyang lens is a stunning asset to astrophotography. In conjunction with Starnet for star reduction it must be the definitive widefield setup. 90 mins with a 7nm filter is incredible.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I would say the Samyang lens is the best Astronomy purchase ive ever made, at f2.8 the stars are perfect and it blows the socks of the Askar 180 which I returned. Funny thing is ive seen people saying the complete opposite. 

I wish id got more data on it, as I really had to work hard with the processing. problem is I think its been the worst winter for imaging in the UK, we've only had a handful of clear nights in about 4 months, and now the weather has turned for the better its been full moon, and loosing Orion by 9:30pm behind the conifers 😞

I will do a Starnet version shortly and see how that looks.

Lee

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Here you go Olly, a Starnet version, I dont think I have enough data to stand up to being starless, it got very noisy after I run it so then had to run another iteration of Noels Deep space noise reduction.

Lee

mono_test5_s.jpg

On 01/03/2021 at 10:40, Magnum said:

Here you go Olly, a Starnet version, I dont think I have enough data to stand up to being starless, it got very noisy after I run it so then had to run another iteration of Noels Deep space noise reduction.

Lee

mono_test5_s.jpg

Ah, but the thing about Starnet is that you don't have to remove the stars and call it a day. You can remove them and put them back at a reduced opacity, which doesn't require the same signal strength as a full removal. I've only done limited experimenting but I put the stars back using blend mode lighten as a top layer in Photoshop. (Put the linear image on top of the stretched starless, choose blend mode lighten, and stretch the top layer to taste.)

Olly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Ah, but the thing about Starnet is that you don't have to remove the stars and call it a day. You can remove them and put them back at a reduced opacity, which doesn't require the same signal strength as a full removal. I've only done limited experimenting but I put the stars back using blend mode lighten as a top layer in Photoshop. (Put the linear image on top of the stretched starless, choose blend mode lighten, and stretch the top layer to taste.)

Olly

yes ive done that manually in the past, but using the stand lone Starnet I havent figured it out as it just outputs the starless version, cant see any there file of just the stars, Maybe that's only in the pix insight plugging version?

Wow!! - what a result, that's just fantastic! :)

I've just got this same lens for some wide-field shots after seeing so many lovely images taken with it, - I was also considering the Askar but I'm glad I went with the Samyang as being able to get quality data at f2.8 is nuts. usually the reserve of high-end specialized astrograph equipment needing precise collimation, never mind an off the shelf lens!

• Like 1