Narrowband

Passing object

Andy56

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to pose this question.

I'm just starting in astrophotography and tonight I've captured a relatively slow moving object in Orion. It took approx 24 minutes to pass so I don't think it was an artificial satellite but possibly a minor planet or similar. 

How can I find this out ie where would I find tables etc. I'm not familiar enough in the world of astronomy to know where to start.

These are a couple of the subs, the first taken at 20:44 and the second at 20:57

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Best regards

Andy 

L_3288_ISO800_120s__18C.jpg

L_3294_ISO800_120s__19C.jpg

Edited by Andy56
Grammar

Hi,

Peter: If it were geostationary, would it not be stationary.

Festoon: Thanks for the link. I've given my location in my profile, it's Newbury, Berks. Seems that SES-4 would have been to far east to have been it. I look in more detail later.

Many thanks all,

Andy

Hi. It’s definitely a geostationary satellite. True, they are stationary relative to the observer, but moving relative to the stars and a guided mount and camera.

There are thousands of them, a few degrees south of the celestial  equator when seen from the northern hemisphere. Bit of a pest when imaging, say, the Orion or Horsehead Nebulae.

• Like 2