SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gosky solar Filters on Amazon - any good??

Hi does anyone know if the Gosky solar filters on Amazon are any good? - I have seen some stuff on the net from 3-4 years back saying there were some rip-offs going around. Given the nature of the product  - and its cost - I'd like to be sure its safe to use.

Given this is for solar, I would really recommend that you don't take chances and instead stick to the well-known brands like Baader. The price difference really isn't that significant and it's your ability to see you're safeguarding. From a quick check they're almost the same price as the Baader stuff from FLO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I would add that when I use a front solar filter I also add a IR/UV filter just in front of the eyepiece to give added protection

Thanks Mark- I was thinking along the same lines but thought it may degrade the image too much and render it a bit pointless but I've not tried it yet so wouldn't know.

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Martin I always worry about cheap solar filters so I agree with discardedastro above. My reasons for being worried is a work colleague's daughter went to see the Total Eclipse and was given 'proper' eye glasses. She has lost her sight.

😪   How awful  -  can't be too careful with your eyesight.

6 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Martin I always worry about cheap solar filters so I agree with discardedastro above. My reasons for being worried is a work colleague's daughter went to see the Total Eclipse and was given 'proper' eye glasses. She has lost her sight.

I bought solar eyeglasses direct from Thousand Oaks to ensure I received genuinely safe filtration for my family.  I am so horrified by your story.  My heart goes out to her.

• Like 1

As many already stated above: do not take any chances with your eyes, stick to the known to be safe brands.
Get yourself well educated about the use of any solar filter, being it white light or H-alpha, before using it.

But you are already doing that... good for you!

• Like 1