Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Time Lapse from Back Garden

I decided to have a bit of fun and make a time lapse last night whilst imaging the rosette nebula on my telescope. 

The time lapse is composed of 317 x 4s exposures (2 exposures per minute over about 2 and half hours) at f3.5, ISO800, taken with the Canon 2000D with stock lens at 18mm. Video made at about 25fps.

Image of the rosette to hopefully follow soon - depending on how images from the last couple nights turn out as the moon has been out. Just need to get images through the blue filter tonight.

Adam

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Cool Adam.   Is that a home made light shield to the right of the scope?

Thanks Lee! 

It's not a home made one, it's one of these Collapsible Terrace Side Awning Grey 300x200 cm - (manomano.co.uk), screwed onto some wood with a bag of bricks to stop it falling over. It's not perfect, it sways in the wind and can't use if it's windy despite the bricks, and it lets through a small amount of light but it blocks out the direct light from 4 streetlamps.

I did try and make one - out of PVC piping and tarpaulin - that was a right faff and a complete failure and it went to the tip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

It's not a home made one, it's one of these Collapsible Terrace Side Awning Grey 300x200 cm - (manomano.co.uk), screwed onto some wood with a bag of bricks to stop it falling over. It's not perfect, it sways in the wind and can't use if it's windy despite the bricks, and it lets through a small amount of light but it blocks out the direct light from 4 streetlamps.

Thanks for the link 👍  From that angle it definitely looks like it's doing a decent job of blocking the street lights.

3 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

I did try and make one - out of PVC piping and tarpaulin - that was a right faff and a complete failure and it went to the tip!

Ha! Funnily enough I have a sketch and a list of parts to do the exact same thing - I think I might keep that on the shelf for now as I'm not the most handy :D 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Thanks for the link 👍  From that angle it definitely looks like it's doing a decent job of blocking the street lights.

Ha! Funnily enough I have a sketch and a list of parts to do the exact same thing - I think I might keep that on the shelf for now as I'm not the most handy :D 

No problem! Yeah its definitely doing a decent job. Considering I've got 4 street lights on the right side of the garden it's a wonder I was able to get any half decent images before, so I glad I bought this! 

If your design and list of parts is anything like mine was, I wouldn't bother! 🤣🤣 The tarpaulin, despite it's colour actually let through quite a bit of light so I tripled it over, but then I just got tangled in it,  was heavy and make a hell of a racket. PVC pipes also didn't appear to have been the best choice, unless you can build something like a cage that is more stable 

The street lights!

20210228_192618.jpg

Edited by Adam1234
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

If your design and list of parts is anything like mine was, I wouldn't bother! 🤣🤣 The tarpaulin, despite it's colour actually let through quite a bit of light so I tripled it over, but then I just got tangled in it,  was heavy and make a hell of a racket. PVC pipes also didn't appear to have been the best choice,

😁😁😁 All the things I was wondering about when planning it out are answered there!

34 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

The street lights!

That definitely looks challenging.  My offending lights are further away but at a height that they still encroach - mainly worse at certain directions and low altitudes of course.  Glad you've got something - even temporary - that can help.

• Like 1