SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar session 99.3% illuminated, some ID help needed

Stu

Having a good run these last few days, and I enjoyed another solar session yesterday followed by lunar in the evening. Even at very nearly full, there was still plenty to keep interest, and having drawn a blank with my normally useful Moon Phase Photo Maps app, I switched to the very good MoonGlobeHD app which was very good for checking features right on the terminator.

Weapon for the night was ‘Felicity’ (which I’ve just seen means ‘intense joy’! 😀) the FC100DC on my trusty Vixen mount, and equipped with binoviewers giving me a range from around x100 to x200. Last night I mainly used x150. The seeing was reasonable but did vary from poor to quite good.

Basically I worked my way along the terminator, keeping track of where I was against the app, identifying features as I went. A few I struggled with, and would appreciate some lunar expert input. @paulastro, @mikeDnight or @John or anyone else want to chip in?  In particular, beyond Mare Crisium, right on the terminator there was an interesting looking feature, arrived in the first image. I can’t find a name for it on my app.

I’m also interested in the feature arrowed in the second image. By extending the brightest ray trace from Tycho towards the terminator it seems it may be Scott, but really not sure.

I tracked down a few interesting ones such as Kästner, starting at Langrenus, following a lovely trail of three craters Barkla, Kapteyn and La Pérouse. Second and third image show my snap and then how I have hopefully ID’d it correctly in my app. I think the crater Gibert shows quite clearly in the image too, highlighted in the fifth image.

I’ve just added a few uncropped images at the end to give a flavour of what I was looking at. A very enjoyable few hours. I managed to remember to put my dew strips on to keep objective and binoviewer clear, though did realise after a while that shorts were probably not the wisest choice 🤣🤣. Using the Vixen was great, fairly accurate tracking so I could just enjoy the views.

457EDFF4-A0F8-4E87-8750-744DC17E67AE.jpeg

564B28B5-6730-48D9-A849-2722EDEB5033.jpeg

5066A983-78A4-4030-9799-2CC5F4AD2F43.jpeg

2B12B1EB-F3EA-4A5C-9926-1E1B6B599B11.jpeg

E39C91F4-AECC-4F96-9FE0-D37DDE811294.jpeg

25BE1FC6-0A68-4FE9-898A-07E766DEBBCA.jpeg

A6ADCD44-1779-45E4-899A-14B75EEB51B3.jpeg

AEB8D326-8C10-4C56-A670-670C89D6408F.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@Stu- I started by trying to find 'Felicity' then I realised it was your scope. Anyway I think the area you have marked on your first photo is 'Mare Marginis'. However, I am sure @paulastrowill know better.

My apologies Mark, just a bit of silliness on my part. Thanks for the input, hopefully Paul will be along soon 👍

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Having a good run these last few days, and I enjoyed another solar session yesterday followed by lunar in the evening. Even at very nearly full, there was still plenty to keep interest, and having drawn a blank with my normally useful Moon Phase Photo Maps app, I switched to the very good MoonGlobeHD app which was very good for checking features right on the terminator.

Weapon for the night was ‘Felicity’ (which I’ve just seen means ‘intense joy’! 😀) the FC100DC on my trusty Vixen mount, and equipped with binoviewers giving me a range from around x100 to x200. Last night I mainly used x150. The seeing was reasonable but did vary from poor to quite good.

Basically I worked my way along the terminator, keeping track of where I was against the app, identifying features as I went. A few I struggled with, and would appreciate some lunar expert input. @paulastro, @mikeDnight or @John or anyone else want to chip in?  In particular, beyond Mare Crisium, right on the terminator there was an interesting looking feature, arrived in the first image. I can’t find a name for it on my app.

I’m also interested in the feature arrowed in the second image. By extending the brightest ray trace from Tycho towards the terminator it seems it may be Scott, but really not sure.

I tracked down a few interesting ones such as Kästner, starting at Langrenus, following a lovely trail of three craters Barkla, Kapteyn and La Pérouse. Second and third image show my snap and then how I have hopefully ID’d it correctly in my app. I think the crater Gibert shows quite clearly in the image too, highlighted in the fifth image.

I’ve just added a few uncropped images at the end to give a flavour of what I was looking at. A very enjoyable few hours. I managed to remember to put my dew strips on to keep objective and binoviewer clear, though did realise after a while that shorts were probably not the wisest choice 🤣🤣. Using the Vixen was great, fairly accurate tracking so I could just enjoy the views.

457EDFF4-A0F8-4E87-8750-744DC17E67AE.jpeg

564B28B5-6730-48D9-A849-2722EDEB5033.jpeg

5066A983-78A4-4030-9799-2CC5F4AD2F43.jpeg

2B12B1EB-F3EA-4A5C-9926-1E1B6B599B11.jpeg

E39C91F4-AECC-4F96-9FE0-D37DDE811294.jpeg

25BE1FC6-0A68-4FE9-898A-07E766DEBBCA.jpeg

A6ADCD44-1779-45E4-899A-14B75EEB51B3.jpeg

AEB8D326-8C10-4C56-A670-670C89D6408F.jpeg

My guess Stu would be for arrow 1 it would be Mare Anguis, as its quite close to Crisium.  For arrow 2 I'm guessing it could be the rear wall of Kastner catching the Sun. And for arrow 3 again I imagine this is Kastner in sunlight. But bear in mind I could be wrong, as I've been wrong before on many occasions. ☺

Lovely images by the way! 😊😊

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

I observed that area (your first arrow) as well last night. I had it down in my mind as the Mare Anguis as well. I didn't feel that I could see far enough "around" the limb to get the Mare Marginis.

Not sure about the other features :icon_scratch:

• Like 1