sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Just been out for a few minutes with the 20x90 bins. Full Moon really is making the sky bright, that said, I could still make out the "fishes mouth" in the Orion Nebula and the Trapezium asterism was easily resolved with  all 4 stars showing nicely. There was also limited detail in the main nebula and in the "wings" of the nebula but just a taste of things to be seen on darker nights.

• Like 4

Binoculars never fail to impress. Much like yourself tonight I had an observing window of an hour or so before clouds rolled in so grabbed the Olympus 10x50s. Taking in M42 , M44, the Double Cluster in Perseus and for the first time from home spotted the California Nebula. Not bad under city skies.

I'm tempted to buy a bigger pair, although the freedom of hand held binoculars is what really attracts.

• Like 2

Exit pupil is what controls the brightness, aperture just makes stuff bigger. It’s not uncommon for binocular observers to detect nebulae that large scope users can’t.

Peter