Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FEB 26TH - MARE ORIENTALE OBSERVED - PHOTO WITH IDENTIFICATION KEY FROM CAMBRIDGE ATLAS.

paulastro

I was out observing from 8.30pm to 9.50pm and again from 11.45pm to 00.30am.  I had a break to wait for a little more of M Orientale to become illuminated.

Many people have problems observing M Orientale because it is difficult to know what you are looking at, unless you are very familiar with the area. Of course, it also requires a large and exceptional libration to the S/SW.

The best chart I have seen is section 68 of the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas,  published in 2012.  Alas this was a short print run and it is very hard to find.  If you have one, hang on to it, you want believe the prices asked for copies online!  I have attached a photo of the relevant section below.

It was amazing last night and I could see all of the features labelled on the chart.  When you look at the dimensions, and the view of the photo taken from the other side of the Moon, it really brings home what you are actually seeing when observing it.  Well worth observing when ever it is favourable.

I was observing with my 102ED F7 Tecnosky refractor.  The pic I took was a single frame taken with the Olympus E-M5 Mk11.  Needless to say, the view through the scope was far better than my photograph!  I have included a crop which can be compared with the chart in the atlas.

Taken at 23.54pm when the illumination was 99.9%, colongitude 97.8 degrees, lunation 15.81 days.

2146584221_P2261589MoonMareOrientale.thumb.jpg.45827963d1e8bf32d2dcc92ac1265f28.jpg

347949658_P2261589MOrientaleCrop11_54pm.jpg.a1f79d2bfc54a06144078fc17be212a3.jpg

20210227_125235.thumb.jpg.44d6c16b1ccbe220d19f9062845c54fb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

What a man! You're a top class observer Mr Astro. Wish I'd gone out and observed now, as it was beautifully clear. 

Many thanks Mike, you are kind - the cheque is in the post 😄.

I wish I'd rung you now.  I thought about it, but it was rather late and I didnt want to disturb Mrs Hezzlewood.  Sorry 🙄.

• Haha 1

Interesting views of the Mare Orientale area tonight compared with last night.

It's fully illuminated to the limb tonight. The full length of the darker Lacus Veris can be seen whereas I could only see a small part of it last night. I think I can just make out the crater Kopff very close to the limb just as a highly elongated darker sliver of tone. 

On the opposite limb, the Mare Crisium is showing well with the "cape" of the  Promontorium Agarum extending across the mare on the western side nicely illuminated. 

My other half is watching old "Star Trek" episodes at the moment so I had to have a look at the crater Picard of course :wink:

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul - I was out that evening,  mainly to test a new smartphone holder on the telescope, and I took a near-identical photograph. After your post I went back and identified all the features you highlight, first time in 40 years! Great match with the Cambridge atlas photo, my atlas wasn't up to it (much as Iike it - Wood & Collins).

• Like 2

Great post Paul, will have to try for that one. I was doing similar things last night with other objects, great fun identifying the features right on the terminator. The Cambridge Atlas looks great, I have to manage with a phone app called MoonGlobe HD which does a good job, though not so much labelled detail.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

Interesting views of the Mare Orientale area tonight compared with last night.

It's fully illuminated to the limb tonight. The full length of the darker Lacus Veris can be seen whereas I could only see a small part of it last night. I think I can just make out the crater Kopff very close to the limb just as a highly elongated darker sliver of tone. 

On the opposite limb, the Mare Crisium is showing well with the "cape" of the  Promontorium Agarum extending across the mare on the western side nicely illuminated. 

My other half is watching old "Star Trek" episodes at the moment so I had to have a look at the crater Picard of course :wink:

I also went out last night, and as you say John, now the sun has fully risen over the area, it looks very different. Lacus Autumni and Lacus Veris appearing as long grey features.  

I took another photo at 22.28pm, and had to darken the photo as it was difficult to see them with the rather overwhelming light on the limb.  The seeing was poor which also didnt help - I cant make out Kopff in the photo - unless it's the elongated highlite on the limb?

It was good to have three night viewing on the bounce, and nice to see it go from pre - full to full to post - full Moon with the sun setting on the E limb last night.

1236120891_P2271682MoonMOrientale.thumb.jpg.55afeb1fb2beb0c4f4322291170eba50.jpg

2100378973_P2271682MoonMOrientaleCrop.jpg.403d4011662672ad98e81d53132d46fd.jpg

790966298_P2271682MoonMOrientaleCrop2.jpg.8ac2af23a8395647666109fb1378223c.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 2

Lovely images and report Paul :thumbright:

2 more clear nights forecast here. Can't recall when I last observed 5 nights in a row - probably around the time of the comet last year :icon_scratch:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Really enjoyable thread Paul. I have been using my 150p skywatcher plus a few ortho EPs. When I attempt this area I usually start with the crater Cruger and go towards the edge from there. It was good to pick out the mountain areas and the edge of Mare Orientale.

I recently downloaded a useful Moon app which together with my 21st century atlas of the Moon makes it easier to identify the area.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Really enjoyable thread Paul. I have been using my 150p skywatcher plus a few ortho EPs. When I attempt this area I usually start with the crater Cruger and go towards the edge from there. It was good to pick out the mountain areas and the edge of Mare Orientale.

I recently downloaded a useful Moon app which together with my 21st century atlas of the Moon makes it easier to identify the area.

Many thanks Mark.  Which app have you downloaded?  I use virtual moon Atlas on my laptop, havent found any app which is as good for showing the correct terminator including liberation.  Did come across something once but it was only for  i - phones.

1 hour ago, John said:

Lovely images and report Paul :thumbright:

2 more clear nights forecast here. Can't recall when I last observed 5 nights in a row - probably around the time of the comet last year :icon_scratch:

Thanks John.  It looks like I'm heading for my 4th clear night in a row - almost unheard of up here 😃.

8 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks Mark.  Which app have you downloaded?  I use virtual moon Atlas on my laptop, havent found any app which is as good for showing the correct terminator including liberation.  Did come across something once but it was only for  i - phones.

Paul the app is for android for my tablet called Moon Atlas 3D. Its okay and shows crater names, lunar 100 positions etc. Its not as good as Virtual Moon Atlas (version7) which is on my main computer. However, the app is useful because I can take out the tablet and compare the view with the eyepiece.