SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light-ish QHY 268M

DaveS

2 Hours on the Horse and Flame in H-alpha (Astronomik 6nm) with the QHY 268M on the TS apo. Huge amount of moon.

I still have to get all the calibration frames I need so this is just the 600 sec lights, Sigma Average, DDP and Unsharp Mask.

164093689_2HourHSAvDDPUM.thumb.jpg.51415f663071de23f6d5d699db579903.jpg

I think the Unsharp Mask has left some halos but this is just a quick first run that will be added to the red channel when, if, I do a full HaRGB image.

Worried too about the huge diffraction around Alnitak.

• Like 11

As I recall I was using Gain 56 and Offset 10 in Photo mode, but I had so much "fun and games" getting everything working that I could be wrong.

I think the Extended Full Well 2CMH might be a good idea with Alnitak blasting over everything, but I'm still getting to grips with the complexities of the QHY driver after the simplicity of the ASI

Thanks Gina

Those deep wells on these new CMOS sensors might be helping, less chance of filling up.

Will have to see how the RGB holds up when I get the chance. May be next year at this rate.

• Like 1

That looks very good, and considering as well, the Moon last night in my garden was brighter than the neighbour's security light !!!   

If you get that sense, like yours, of the HH being in front of a gas curtain ( like on a 3-D theatrical stage ), then it is a beauty of an image.

From what I read, this is a game changing camera.

I have noted a fair few 'older' and not so old CCD's coming up for sale as people upgrade.    I guess this is a keeper then ?

sean.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaveS said:

2 Hours on the Horse and Flame in H-alpha (Astronomik 6nm) with the QHY 268M on the TS apo. Huge amount of moon.

I still have to get all the calibration frames I need so this is just the 600 sec lights, Sigma Average, DDP and Unsharp Mask.

164093689_2HourHSAvDDPUM.thumb.jpg.51415f663071de23f6d5d699db579903.jpg

I think the Unsharp Mask has left some halos but this is just a quick first run that will be added to the red channel when, if, I do a full HaRGB image.

Worried too about the huge diffraction around Alnitak.

Dave, it's really good to see this fine image after all the issues you had getting your rig configured with the new camera. Very nice for just 2 hours of data and good luck with the RGB add, as my blue and green had horrible halos around the 2 bright belt stars, Alnitak in particular.

• Thanks 1