Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CELESTRON C6-S CG-5 MOUNT HELP PLEASE !!!

macipod

HI JUST GOT MY FIRST SCOPE YESTERDAY MANY THANKS TO STEVE AT FLO, I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WORK OUT HOW TO USE THE MOUNT (POLAR ALIGN SET UP THE DUAL AXIS MOTORS) THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS

1. WHAT ARE THE SPEEDS FOR eg 1x 4x 8x ? ive tried tracking the moon this afternoon and at 1x the moon was being left behind i did not polar align the mount could this be the problem? 2. do i need to push R.A and DEC buttons together at the same speed for it to track correctly

3. Polar align the mount does this need to be done every time i use it or if i mark to ground were the first align met was made (which i am yet to do still trying to work it out)

i am a bit intimidated by this set up being a total novice i wonder if this was the right decision should i have gone for a goto system any help would be very much appreciated

Luke :(

Hi Mac,

Welcome to SGL.

The scope and mount must be polar aligned every time you set up but for just visually tracking objects just a rough align will do, don't get too caught up in spending time getting it exactly right at the expense of actually using the scope. As you say just do it once and try to remember/ mark the spot.

The mount MUST first be set to your latitude using the bolts and the latitude scale on the side of the mount (this is really important, have you done it?), then the polar scope must be aligned to Polaris (the North Star).

Once the mount is powered up it should track automatically without you pressing any buttons (its actually tracking at x1 in RA) the other speeds/ directions on the handset are just to centre objects or move the scope around from object to object. Once you've found (say) the moon and centred it, the mount should track it without you touching anything else.

Hope this helps

Gaz

Once you have found your object you want to observe in the eyepiece, you can lock off the declination axis and with speed set to one (check instructions) it should track in RA nicely but.... you have to polar align for this to work, not necessarily to the nth degree for visual work. The moon does slowly drift due to its orbit around us ie 2 motions earths spin + moons orbit

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Yes, your scope must be polar aligned in order to track correctly.

There's plenty of info on this forum as to how to do this by people far more knowledgeable than me, but essentially the RA axis should be set up pointing to a spot very close to Polaris. You only need to do this once, and the angle is dependent upon latitude. It's essential that the mount is as level as possible, so get this right first.

You can actually point the CG-5 at Polaris - take off the caps on either end of the RA axis, and there's a sight straight through (you may need to move the scope in Dec to get a clear view).

Once done, you're away, and the motors you have will track if it's set to North for Northern hemisphere etc.

I believe getting a precise alignment for long exposure astro photography is a black art, but I've managed a pretty close alignment, and like you, I'm new to this. :(

It takes a little getting used to, but once you get your head around it, all becomes clear....

Hi,Gaz

i have not set the latitude does this need to be set just the once if it will be used in the same possition ? also i fitted the dual motors as a kit it is not a goto setup hope this make it a bit clearer .

hi Mac, I havn't used your exact setup but something similar, so I maybe slightly out on the details but if you look at the mount from "edge on" you should see a semi circular scale with numbers from 0 to 90 on it and an arrow pointing to the setting.

By moving the two bolts either side of that scale you can alter the setting, you slacken one bolt and tighten the other to do. The arrow needs to point to your latitude.

I have an identical setup.

Yes, you need to set the latitude just once to match your location. Use the chrome bolts with pivot handles near the base of the mount to do this. Release one whilst tightening the other. Make sure the mount is level using the bubble on the mount. Whether goto, motorized or manual, the procedure is the same.

Hi jarndyce

How long did it take you to master you set up ? do i also just need to used one button on the controller eg when tacking the moon or planets etc for doing some webcam stuff or would it need constant ajustment on the A.G ,DEC buttons sorry for these question if they are simple

The lattitude scale isn't very exact either!

I'm at 51 North (as most in the UK will be). If I set the lattitude scale to 51, the OTA actually points above Polaris (the two should pretty much match up). On my mount's lattitude scale, I'm closer 49 North to get Polaris in the FOV.

Hi thanks for all your advice . assuming i have polar align correctly does this mean that i keep mount and scope in one place and then to be able if possible to get a 360 degree view of the sky with just moving the scope on the mount :(

Yes, that's the idea. By adjusting the position of the scope on the mounting ( RA and Dec) you should be able to point it to anywhere in the visible sky. Just watch the balance weight are reasonably positioned and that the scope doesn't hit the mounting when pointed close to vertically upwards....

Hi macipod.

Hope this all makes sense. :(

In answer to your question, I spent a lot of time reading up and then fiddling with the mount in the daylight so that understood how it worked.

TheThing is right, I'm not convinced that the latitude scale on the mount is particularly accurate. If you can sight it on Polaris, by looking through the mount, you should be fine. I set mine to around 51 and it seems quite close.

As Merlin says, once done, you can point it pretty much anywhere in the sky. Move it to the area you want to look at by releasing the clutches and aiming it roughly using the finderscope, the use the motors to centre the object you're looking at.

Have you balanced the scope so that it doesn't move if you release the manual clutches?

Most Latitude scales are out on the synta EQ mounts as I understand things, the HEQ5 pro has a stick on latitude badge, so it's as accurate as whoever stuck it on. Of course if your tripod isn't level this will have an effect on the latitude scales accuracy too.

Archived