SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power box ready to go

AL1

I have recently completed my power box with 24Ahr lead acid battery, fused power distribution board, dew heater controls and Bluetooth interface to control my mount from SkySafari.  I am pleased with how it worked out.  The bluetooth module has a R232 cable to connect to the handset then I can bluetooth SkySafari on my android device to control the mount.  For what ever reason the mount star alignment does not always work while my android device is connected by bluetooth but I have a procedure that works. 

1) Turn on the mount then connect SkySafari by bluetooth.  Connecting causes the mount to take the location and time from Android.

2) Turn off bluetooth on my phone then use the hand controller to run the star alignment procedure.

3) Turn bluetooth back on and run the mount from SkySafari. 

The bluetooth connection does drop out occasionally but not enough to be problem.  I just need to reconnect SkySafari to the mount and it is back in business.   It works with both my Celestron AVX and SkyWatcher EQ6, just need correct RS232 cable for each mount.   The power connectors are Anderson PowerPole.  The various LEDs are a bit bright so I just close the lid over the cables.

Bluetooth interface components

Blue tooth module: SparkFun Bluetooth Mate Silver (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) modules do not work, I tired!)

RS232 to TTL logic level converter:  SparkFun MAX3232 Breakout

Voltage regulator for the  Bluetooth module: 5V,  I used this one https://thepihut.com/products/dcdc-5v)

Al

powerbox.thumb.jpg.a0a5af5e0088681052676309fe0f1fdb.jpg

Edited by AL1
  • Like 4

Power box ready to go......up in flames😉. No, i hope for no short circuit issues, but unprotected softwood can soak up a lot of water(dew). Best to spraypaint the inside?

edit: i meant it as advice. Dont know if someone is aware of softwood and its characteristics. 

Edited by Robindonne
  • Confused 1

Good point, I will oil the inside as well as the outside that has already been done.  Certainly fire risk needs to be considered.  I have everything fused but I need to look for some insulation for the main battery terminals.  I don't keep lithium batteries in the house due to fire risk.  Keeping them in the garage is not ideal either as the winter cold does permanent damage to the lithium battery chemistry.   lead acid is ok in the cold so I can store it in the garage.