SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope for children

20 minutes ago, gary19 said:

I think this is a bit of an extravagance for a 5 and 10 year old. An 80mm carbon fibre triplet is a premium small scope mostly aimed at astrophotography. For visual a doublet is going to be lighter and will cool quicker, both of which are probably key considerations if you want to use the telescope as a grab and go instrument. 

• Like 1

So sad the Edmunds Scientific AstroScan 102mm reflector is not manufactured anymore. Love it! I gave it to my son when he was 10. Nearly indestructible and a zero hassle to setup anywhere any second you have a mood:

71x4Y-DTuRL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

The only comparable in usability thing is a pair of binoculars in your hands (but that's still too shaky in comparison). There is a rumor they are working on the clone and it is still possible to find it used, but at that age if neglected it might retain only a decorative (and DIY) value...

The "Heritage" recommended above is a way more flimsy and harder to setup and use thing.

Edited by AlexK