sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Planning a New back garden Observatory. Will document and solicit advice / feedback in this thread.

Hi Steve, Just picked this thread up & welcome to the Observatory clan. You have had lots of positive comments and help on your build, equipment & software, which must be encouraging & overwhelming at the same time. If I may, I will add a couple of subjects to consider:- 

Software: Have a look at Nina  full observatory automation, image capture etc; it's free, getting a lot of rave reviews and if you don't like it. It's cost you nothing.

Networking: Go for high quality CAT cables. preferably CAT6 or even the new CAT7. Future proofing is necessary as data volumes are increasing at an alarming rate.

Security: Get a good alarm system. I also added a couple of sound bombs and strobe lighting. If, in the future, you come across any deaf and blind low-life's...........Thy tried 👹

Insurance: Check your policies, you may not be fully covered. I have a separate cover just for my dome & contents.

Looking forward to your progress and keep the photos coming

Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First real update in a while. Work Started today. Plan was to start on the footing trench for the repairs / upgrades to the Patio, and start to remove / excavate the area of existing rubbish pati

Good afternoon everyone, my name is Steve and I am an amateur astronomer based in West Yorkshire. Due to a number of circumstances, I have decided that this will be the the year that I finally bi

If you're planning on putting the obsy on a raised platform then check carefully the Permitted Development regs to make sure you don't end up with the top of the dome too high, and have to go through

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

@M40
Following some excellent advice from folks here I went with the mono. I can always add a colour filter wheel in later. 

I started with baby steps with SLL. Just imaged the moon for a while to get used to using it. Was fun seeing it on screen though and playing with settings.  

That is... until  my power tank died!

Same as you fella! My new ac adaptor for my mount arrived a few days ago.  :)

@sloz1664

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. Yep insurance and security was on the list of things to consider. 

Edited by Steve Loy
8 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Steve, Just picked this thread up & welcome to the Observatory clan. You have had lots of positive comments and help on your build, equipment & software, which must be encouraging & overwhelming at the same time. If I may, I will add a couple of subjects to consider:- 

Software: Have a look at Nina  full observatory automation, image capture etc; it's free, getting a lot of rave reviews and if you don't like it. It's cost you nothing.

Networking: Go for high quality CAT cables. preferably CAT6 or even the new CAT7. Future proofing is necessary as data volumes are increasing at an alarming rate.

Security: Get a good alarm system. I also added a couple of sound bombs and strobe lighting. If, in the future, you come across any deaf and blind low-life's...........They tried 👹

Insurance: Check your policies, you may not be fully covered. I have a separate cover just for my dome & contents.

Looking forward to your progress and keep the photos coming

Steve