SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neq6 problem

geordie85

So as fortune would have it the next few nights are clear and I cannot take advantage of it. 

I set up last night and had a Madrid of problems that I was battling with for over 4 hours. In the end I just gave up but I still have a massive problem, my mount won't goto in declination. 

I can move the mount north and south by pressing the buttons, both with eqmod and the handset, but when I tell it to goto it starts, I hear a chunk like metal hitting against eachother, then stops. I've tried again this morning and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

• Like 1

It sounds like the stepper motor is stalling. 
Once stalled it will not move at all until stopped and started again as it needs to smoothly ramp up the frequency of the pulses to it when going at full speed. and it is very noisy when it stalls.

When you say you can move it with the handset or EQMOD are you sure it is at maximum speed ?
If not try again with the buttons at maximum speed.

If it stalls then I would say something is stalling the motor, either mechanical or low 12V.

Whatever program you are using to give the goto command can you slow the slew speed down and try it ?

Just a thought, if slowing it down works then it is a workaround but indication is that something in the mount needs attention - assuming the power supply is a good steady 12 to 13 V, the clutches are set correctly and the rig is balanced.

That.s all I can think of for now but difficult to say when I cannot actually see the issue - if no joy maybe post a video ???

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

It sounds like the stepper motor is stalling. 
Once stalled it will not move at all until stopped and started again as it needs to smoothly ramp up the frequency of the pulses to it when going at full speed. and it is very noisy when it stalls.

When you say you can move it with the handset or EQMOD are you sure it is at maximum speed ?
If not try again with the buttons at maximum speed.

If it stalls then I would say something is stalling the motor, either mechanical or low 12V.

Whatever program you are using to give the goto command can you slow the slew speed down and try it ?

Just a thought, if slowing it down works then it is a workaround but indication is that something in the mount needs attention - assuming the power supply is a good steady 12 to 13 V, the clutches are set correctly and the rig is balanced.

That.s all I can think of for now but difficult to say when I cannot actually see the issue - if no joy maybe post a video ???

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I usually power my mount with a tracer 22ah battery but it was running low last night as I'd forgot to charge it.

I've just tried using mains power and it worked fine and seems to have fixed my problem.

Will have to wait until Saturday night to give it a try at night as I'm working late tonight.

Once again thank you 

• Like 1