SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What mount it this?

bendiddley

On 27/02/2021 at 14:11, Cornelius Varley said:

I assume that the handset and mount work together and you can confirm that the mount is a Celestron ?

The controller can operate the mount so I'm assuming the mount must be Celestron? Or can a Celestron controller operate another make of mount ie. skywatcher? Maybe the mount is a very old Celestron model but I can't find any photos of it on google.

The mount looks very similar to the old Skywatcher Supatrak (the alt scale on the arm). If you remove the black cover from the arm you might be able to see some information on the motor control board. The Skywatcher Synscan mounts can use the older Celestron Ascom drivers so there might be some compatibility with the early handsets.

42 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The mount looks very similar to the old Skywatcher Supatrak (the alt scale on the arm). If you remove the black cover from the arm you might be able to see some information on the motor control board. The Skywatcher Synscan mounts can use the older Celestron Ascom drivers so there might be some compatibility with the early handsets.

Thanks. Yes it does look very similar, can't find any with the silver top, maybe the top came from something else. Interesting to know about the Celestron skywatcher compatibility. I have taken it apart and here are some photos. No clues on the control board or from the serial number but I've looked up the patent numbers and the us and eu numbers are showing results for a company called 'PACIFIC TELESCOPE CORP [CA]', have attached screen shot. Can't find any link to skywatcher/celestron on the patent application though, but I'll keep looking and see what I can find.

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 10.24.41.png

Edited by bendiddley

It looks almost identically to the Nexstar GT mount I have apart from the silver cover, however skywatcher do / did an almost identical looking mount with the silver covers so maybe it's been swapped out at some point.

Nexstar GT would certainly be what my money would be on anyway at this point looking at those pictures and it wouldn't surprise me the patent being in another name other than Celestron, most of the skywatcher and celestron kit seems to come from the same factories and just get badged appropriately...

1 minute ago, doublevodka said:

It looks almost identically to the Nexstar GT mount I have apart from the silver cover, however skywatcher do / did an almost identical looking mount with the silver covers so maybe it's been swapped out at some point.

Nexstar GT would certainly be what my money would be on anyway at this point looking at those pictures and it wouldn't surprise me the patent being in another name other than Celestron, most of the skywatcher and celestron kit seems to come from the same factories and just get badged appropriately...

I suspect that the SW Supatrak and older Az Goto are loosely based on the original Celestron/Tasco Nexstar GT.