Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worked but then didn't - platesolving

Rustang

To help me understand one of last night's continuous issues, my plate solving in APT has been perfect for a while now. I've moved from a DSLR to a mono cam and filterwheel. My mount did not find the targets correctly last night, and platesolving did not work either, as in it did solve but not on target! I did some tests on some bright stars but they never appeared in frame! So is this a mount issue? Say pola alighment!? Something I'm missing to set in APT!? or somewhere else!? Or like a few recent things, just one of those, worked fine, then didn't randomly but its ok again situations! 

I'm using a x0.8 reducer that I've used with the DSLR which brings the 600m fl down to 480mm, I've had those settings set in APT as well, that's not going to change with the new camera is it,? I just trying to check everything ! 

My pola alighment has also never let me down. 

Thanks guys. 

Edited by Rustang

Polar alignment shouldn't affect it I wouldn't think.
FL should also be correct.

Its been a while since I used APT so cannot help too much but are you sure all the data in "Object Calculator" are correct and you clicked on "Recalc" afterwards ?
I am not sure the recalc is required or not but all the other data should be correct.

Apart from that I just can't remember. You should have some logs somewhere that record what happened when it failed, but not sure where they are stored.

image.png.2479e0116c836c23ef6465b08cc76d14.png

Steve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Polar alignment shouldn't affect it I wouldn't think.
FL should also be correct.

Its been a while since I used APT so cannot help too much but are you sure all the data in "Object Calculator" are correct and you clicked on "Recalc" afterwards ?
I am not sure the recalc is required or not but all the other data should be correct.

Apart from that I just can't remember. You should have some logs somewhere that record what happened when it failed, but not sure where they are stored.

image.png.2479e0116c836c23ef6465b08cc76d14.png

Steve

Thanks Steve, I wasn't clear as such as to when I say it failed, it solved but the failure was that the target wasn't there! I did some tests on bright stars but they weren't even in frame or in the middle of the frame once solved!!? 

I hadn't pressed 'reclac' either as I don't think I ever have. All other settings in that box are correct. 

Edited by Rustang

Oh, I see, so target not even in the frame, sorry was a bit bleary-eyed when I read your post and missed the point.

As if the mount has lost its orientation.
I think from time to time I had this with my HEQ5 and if it did then did some plate solving close to the polaris and gradually work further away plate-solving various bright stars so I could see they were in the frame. After that so long as I did not undo the clutches it seemed to work fine.

Why it should happen with change of set-up I am not sure but probably just a coincidence.
Sorry I can't help but hope next clear night it all works out for you - nights like that can be very frustrating to say the least but we all have them.

Steve

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Oh, I see, so target not even in the frame, sorry was a bit bleary-eyed when I read your post and missed the point.

As if the mount has lost its orientation.
I think from time to time I had this with my HEQ5 and if it did then did some plate solving close to the polaris and gradually work further away plate-solving various bright stars so I could see they were in the frame. After that so long as I did not undo the clutches it seemed to work fine.

Why it should happen with change of set-up I am not sure but probably just a coincidence.
Sorry I can't help but hope next clear night it all works out for you - nights like that can be very frustrating to say the least but we all have them.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you didn't read wrong, I wasn't clear so changed what I wrote after your commented. I had been opening the clutches to sort balance etc so maybe just one of those things. I'm hopefully out again tonight to will see how it goes. 

• Like 1

One thing I found with CCD plate solving in APT with ASTAP selected is that it struggled with 1x1 binning. 

So in APT I have the default exposure set to 15 sec and binning set to 2x2 for solving GOTO++ etc. Works a treat now but was frustrating initially having had no issues with DSLR solving.

It's an ASTAP issue for me as ASTAP won't solve any 1x1 images I give it in free standing mode either.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Paul M said:

One thing I found with CCD plate solving in APT with ASTAP selected is that it struggled with 1x1 binning. 

So in APT I have the default exposure set to 15 sec and binning set to 2x2 for solving GOTO++ etc. Works a treat now but was frustrating initially having had no issues with DSLR solving.

It's an ASTAP issue for me as ASTAP won't solve any 1x1 images I give it in free standing mode either.

Thanks, il give that ago! 👍

21 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

How are you trying to solve? Platesolve2? ASPS? ASTAP? PS2 shouldn't need the settings changed but I know that ASPS (Blind solve) is funny if the correct FOV and pixel/sensor size isn't setup correctly from within the ASPS settings.

I'm just using auto because its worked before ! Il check the settings etc and double check what software it's using to solve 👍

Edited by Rustang

I was also going to mention camera pixel size setting. Did you chance that from your DLSR pixel size to the mono, or are they the same?

APT may pick up the pixel size from the camera, I can't remember but it'll show what it's using in the Object Calculator window that Steve posted above so it's worth checking that this matches the pixel size of you mono camera. 

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

I was also going to mention camera pixel size setting. Did you chance that from your DLSR pixel size to the mono, or are they the same?

APT may pick up the pixel size from the camera, I can't remember but it'll show what it's using in the Object Calculator window that Steve posted above so it's worth checking that this matches the pixel size of you mono camera. 

Yeah that was all entered correctly 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...