Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CSSP, again

I have just registered for the Cherry Springs Star Party, in Pennsylvania, on June 18 - 21. It is near the town of Coudersport. If you were to fly into New York, Newark, or Philadelphia, you would be able to rent a car and get there within 5 to 8 hours. You could rent a motel room near the site, and have a comfortable and cheap vacation in the US. Take a little extra time to explore Pennsylvania and other nearby states before you go home.

If you want to come by way of Toronto, I would make my home available as a staging area for your trip, for up to four people.

The skies at CSSP are close to mag 7. They are simply amazing. There is usually some rain, but in the four years I have been going there, there has always been at least one magnificent night.

It may seem strange to you to have a star party on the summer solstice, but sunset is at 21:20, and complete darkness reigns from midnight to 3:00 AM.

The Canadian contingent plans to run a hospitality tent with coffee and snacks, and we will make sure you are completely welcome. I can also state that the American hosts are outstandingly friendly and hospitable. It is a great experience in every way.

There are lectures and seminars to accompany the observing, and vendor and swap areas, and lots of good deals to be had.

Think about coming. Think very hard, and then do it!

• 1 month later...

I thought I would move this item up the list a little, as the time for making a decision on this event is drawing near. It will be a good vacation for anyone who wants to try it. Accommodation and food in the US and Canada tend to be cheaper than in the UK (petrol is less than half the price) and the natives are friendly and the scenery excellent.

Following negotiations with Mrs. Warthog, I have to withdraw my offer to use my home as a staging area, but everything else I mentioned is still good.

I hope someone will take me up on this!

Archived