Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount payload capacity question

Hi all,

Possibly a stupid question (replace the word "possibly" with "this is")...

When looking at most retailers the mounts payload capacity is typically stated for both visual and imaging. I.e. the heq5 pro for example is stated as 15kg and 11kg respectively.

When we refer to the 'preferred/general rule of thumb' 2/3's of capacity rule for imaging - are we talking about 2/3's of the already stated max capacity for imaging, e.g. 2/3's of 11kg?  Or 2/3's of the overall max capacity, I.e. 2/3's of 15 (which has already been roughly calculated bar 1kg)?

Hoping that makes sense :s

Not really sure why that has just popped into my head but now I have to find out! :)

Thanks,

Jon

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

2/3 of 15kg is very close to 11kg :D

2/3 rule applies to visual in order to arrive to sensible limit for imaging. With 15/11 that is already calculated for you.

Thanks Vlaiv. 

I assumed that was the case but wanted to clarify. Again not really sure why it popped into my mind! 

Just now, Jonny_H said:

Thanks Vlaiv. 

I assumed that was the case but wanted to clarify. Again not really sure why it popped into my mind! 

Do note that it is just a guideline and much depends on size of the scope as well - length in particular.

I happily image with 12Kg+ on Heq5 - but it is compact scope - I tried to do the same with 8" F/6 and things were far from good.

Was that 8" a 200P or similar?  I can see that being problematic.

When it is a little windy I sometimes feel my 150pds is close to the mark!

At some point I would like to treat myself to a refractor but have spent enough on this hobby for the time being :)

Edited by Jonny_H

13 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Was that 8" a 200P or similar?  I can see that being problematic.

When it is a little windy I sometimes feel my 150pds is close to the mark!

At some point I would like to treat myself to a refractor but have spent enough on this hobby for the time being :)

It was actually 8" from a dob - longer tube than 200P.

200P is F/5 - this was F/6.

Don't have very good images of that setup, but here is one:

image.png.e624656c82b320de415eb63ddb6d32dc.png

Needed 3 5Kg CWs to get it balanced :D

On the other hand, 8" RC is much more compact and this setup:

image.png.26bac4ad3f1420bc268c298c5266cefe.png

also has close to 12Kg - that is ST102 side by side with 8" RC - but only two CWs needed to balance it (just - both on far edge of CW bar :D ).

I now regularly image with 8" RC and OAG - that is about 11Kg or so. Scope itself is 9Kg, I have 1Kg counter weight to balance it in DEC (it is very back heavy) and camera, oag+guide cam and filter drawer on it with no problems. But I did mod the mount extensively since - I replaced puck and dual saddle - vixen + losmandy, mount is now on Berleback planet tripod. That adds quite a bit to its stability.

That dob tube makes the mount look tiny! 😃

OK that's useful to know. I know the Berlebach tripod can take some weight!

As and when I pull tue trigger on a refractor in the future it will probably be something like the esprit 100ed, technosky 102, 115 etc....  I don't really want to get a new mount......this one is heavy enough to lug around! :)