SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommend a refractor for imaging - around 500mm focal length

Nothing really to add Adam, but following the post as I would like to hear the recommendations as well. Just acquired an esprit 150 so I am looking for a suitable ‘wide field’ scope in the focal length range you mention.

I have a suspicion it’s going to get expensive!

3 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Have you considered something like this, it’s a triplet but with the reducer / flattener will get you to the 500mm FL?

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=170298

I hadn’t considered a WO to be honest. I must look into them though, just been put off with reading about issues from other in the past. This example seems a bit expensive - a new FLT98 is £1899, and now comes with a decent 3.5” focuser.

On 23/11/2020 at 13:28, Adam J said:

...the APM 107/700 lens and cell are made by Sharpstar.

Adam

I am quite interested in the APM 107/700, but this does make me think twice.  APM claim an FPL-53 element, and some Sharpstar scopes also list this. My 94EDPH does not claim FPL-53 glass however.

This looks to be the same scope as the APM 107/700

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11024_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-107-mm-f-6-5-FPL53-Triplet-Apo---3-5--Focuser.html

Is it this one > https://www.365astronomy.com/APM-Telescopes-Super-ED-APO-Astrograph-107-700-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope-with-3-APM-Focuser.html

With the reducer fitted it will get you to just over 500mm, and you also have the flexibility of a longer focal length as well. 
This would / will be one of my choices when the time comes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Is it this one > https://www.365astronomy.com/APM-Telescopes-Super-ED-APO-Astrograph-107-700-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope-with-3-APM-Focuser.html

With the reducer fitted it will get you to just over 500mm, and you also have the flexibility of a longer focal length as well. 
This would / will be one of my choices when the time comes.

Yea that’s top of my list at present. The RIRED63 is on offer too. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I hadn’t considered a WO to be honest. I must look into them though, just been put off with reading about issues from other in the past. This example seems a bit expensive - a new FLT98 is £1899, and now comes with a decent 3.5” focuser.

I think it comes with a hefty quantity of extras, feather touch focused, flattener and reducer/flattener and a few other extras, hence the price. Like all things though I’m sure it’s up for negotiation 😊

7 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

I think it comes with a hefty quantity of extras, feather touch focused, flattener and reducer/flattener and a few other extras, hence the price. Like all things though I’m sure it’s up for negotiation 😊

It’s been for sale 6 weeks so maybe not much room lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gorann said:

I would stop searching and go for the excellent Esprit 100 with the dedicated flattener, except it looks like neither FLO nor TS have them in stock right now.......

Looks like I’ve missed this season anyway so no panic.  
I was just thinking a slightly longer FL would be useful when paired up with my bigger Newtonian and then reduced down to c. 500mm (also faster) when paired up with my Epsilon. 
The 107/700 goes down to 525mm F4.9. 
But I don’t want to buy an unknown quantity. 

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Looks like I’ve missed this season anyway so no panic.  
I was just thinking a slightly longer FL would be useful when paired up with my bigger Newtonian and then reduced down to c. 500mm (also faster) when paired up with my Epsilon. 
The 107/700 goes down to 525mm F4.9. 
But I don’t want to buy an unknown quantity. 

More boys toys than Hamleys Adam