Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 24: two more hours on the California

Managed to add some 2 hours of H-alpha data acquired yesterday evening with my ASI183MM-Pro, Astronomik 12 nm H-alpha filter, and Canon 200 mm F/2.8 L lens.

NGC1499-16200.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-exp-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-noMBB.thumb.jpg.bdae1f8a8d87253b0a65c18b42c81c88.jpg

Might want to re-stack the lot, as there are some artefacts on the edges, and I had issues with the camera being reported as an OSC camera with RGGB Bayer pattern.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael,

Looking good, I don't know how much further you can go before

you hit the point of diminishing returns.

Looks nice as a HA image but some color would be the icing on the cake.

I am not sure what your camera would come up as being on DSS,

I think somewhere in the processing algorithm this is is a part you can tick

to say it is a narrow band image.

I could be wrong, I seem to remember seeing it once , unless I'm getting confused.

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Space_Plane said:

Very nice image! 

I've recently got the same camera and with the weather hasn't been out of its box yet. Curious what gain / sub exposure time you used with this setup? 

Thanks! 

As I was using an EQ3-2 mount without guiding, I limited my subs to just 60 seconds, and cranked gain up to 300, just so I could see something on the subs. I think a lower gain would work adequately, but I tried this and it works

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ultranova said:

Hi Michael,

Looking good, I don't know how much further you can go before

you hit the point of diminishing returns.

Looks nice as a HA image but some color would be the icing on the cake.

I am not sure what your camera would come up as being on DSS,

I think somewhere in the processing algorithm this is is a part you can tick

to say it is a narrow band image.

I could be wrong, I seem to remember seeing it once , unless I'm getting confused.

Paul

I am thinking of either O-III and S-II (I just saw a great SHO rendition of NGC 1499), but maybe I will just add RGB data. Much depends on getting a few more clear evenings

On 25/02/2021 at 18:13, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

As I was using an EQ3-2 mount without guiding, I limited my subs to just 60 seconds, and cranked gain up to 300, just so I could see something on the subs. I think a lower gain would work adequately, but I tried this and it works

Thanks for the info!  Got some subs on the same target myself a few days ago.  Stayed with 60 sec just to test and tried gain 150, seemed a good place to start, but, average results lol.  Maybe next time 😀