sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

COMPLETED - Sold and Completed - Skywatcher Explorer 150i OTA Modified

Originally bought from an SGL member ( @ScouseSpaceCadet ) just a couple of weeks ago. I had planned on using this scope for Astrophotography however with a DSLR I can't quite achieve inward focus. I had planned on modifying the tube but it is just too good of a scope to do that with, the optics are lovely and bright and for visual use it really is very good and should go to a home where it will be appreciated for that use.

150i OTA, modified: removed standard dovetail and added Orion tube rings, TS-Optics 1.25" Crayford focuser installed, collimation knobs added to the secondary.

Included in the sale is a OKLOP carry bag and a medium dovetail bar (the dovetail is used and has a few marks on it but is in perfect working order), basically what you see in the pictures here is what you will get.

It weighs just under 4.5kg with the rings and dovetail (minus a finder and eyepiece). I has been tested on and works fine with: EQ5, AZGTI and AZ5 mounts.

£150 ono, collection from Milton Keynes is preferred but I can package and post at your cost, I would estimate this to be around £20-30 as its going to be a big parcel, I do not have the original packaging but it will be very carefully packaged for as safe a transit as possible. I am happy to deliver within 30 miles if you would prefer.

The original ad is here if you want to check out what I paid and also who carried out the work to the scope (which he did an excellent job of) 

IMG_4842.JPEG

IMG_4843.JPEG

IMG_4918.JPEG

Edited by geeks
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

It really is a cracking light weight scope. It's a shame it's not useful to you geeks. I was sorry to see it go. 😥

Yeah I was really impressed with it for visual stuff it's just a shame I cant get my DSLR to focus up or I'd keep it, it's so lightweight compared to a P or PDS that I could have used it on my EQ5 pro for imaging. 

Maybe an option  ??.... depending on the amount of inward travel you need ...  low profile focuser.   FLO sell them, and sometimes they come up second hand.

Dual-Speed Low Profile 1.25/2" Crayford Focuser | First Light Optics

Alas, it does significantly add to the price of the OTA.  The gains will be achievable  with a PDS and  probably cheaper in the end run......  just a thought.

Edited by Craney
6 minutes ago, Craney said:

Maybe an option  ??.... depending on the amount of inward travel you need ...  low profile focuser.   FLO sell them, and sometimes they come up second hand.

Dual-Speed Low Profile 1.25/2" Crayford Focuser | First Light Optics

Alas, it does significantly add to the price of the OTA.  The gains will be achievable  with a PDS and  probably cheaper in the end run......  just a thought.

Thanks, sadly they are actually a higher profile than the one already on there, I need to lose about 10mm from the train to get focus (TS sits at 55mm from the tube) which means the only practical option is a Moonlite which is just more than i wanted to run with for now.

• Like 1

@geeks. On one scope, years back, I used to fit a barlow on the front of a DSLR. Until changing the focusser, it gave me the travel I needed.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Thanks 1
  • geeks changed the title to Sold and Completed - Skywatcher Explorer 150i OTA Modified