Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Utterly confused about power for EQ6 and bits

I started off with a simple task - get a power supply for my recently acquired (pre Sep '09) EQ6 Pro.
I have a 12v/2A wall wart with a short cable.. Not ideal.

I'm usually in my garden, where there is mains power available, but the option to run from a battery would be nice to have.
I was originally going to pick up a cheap 12V/10A power supply but then I internetted too hard and confused myself.

1. Voltage

It seems that 13.8V is best for a mains setup (because of battery 12v being between 10V-15V etc...)
I've seen a decent looking bench power supply on FLO, but I'm not too sure how much I'll enjoy connecting it up to an extension lead on the patio.
I *may* be able to put it in the garage and run the cables in there, assuming I can get long enough power cables

While I understand that most astro gear will be fine at 13.8V, what about a powered USB hub that wants 12V/3A?

2. Cables

It would seem that the best option would be:

EQ6 DC Jack -> Cigarette Lighter cable.

This way, I can connect the mount to a PowerTank (which I don't have, but might do one day) or the cigarette lighter socket on the PSU. 

The question is, what about the USB Hub? If I get another DC Barrel Jack -> Cigarette lighter socket, where would I plug it in?
Any advice would be appreciated...

Edited by dave_tucker

Thanks Graeme, they look like they might do the trick.

Having thought on it further I think I'll just use an RCD protected 4 gang mains extension in a waterproof box - we have one for the Xmas lights that isn't used for 11 months of the year.

If I research it too much I'll end up having to drop a few hundred quid or more before I get the scope out again.

Once I fill up the extension I'll worrying more about power distribution.

I'm quite tempted to knock up a DIY fuse box with dew controller and power it from one (or two) 22aH Golf Trolley LifePo4 batteries. Then I could justify getting an electric golf trolley too lol.

Edited by dave_tucker

I've been doing RDC protected 4-gang onto a 12V PSU (a Nevada linear one) for years without issue, so that works. With a reasonably large box the PSU can sit in the box - just think cooling, esp with the linear PSUs.

However, with a good battery, you can indeed just plug that in - and a USB hub looking for 12V will also be fine off a 13.8V battery input, "12V" in consumer gear almost universally means 12-ish-or-what-a-12V-battery-spits-out-V.

I use a silicone cable from Lynx Astro to go to a cigarette lighter socket on the PSU or an adaptor to a battery via crocodile clips.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

I've been doing RDC protected 4-gang onto a 12V PSU (a Nevada linear one) for years without issue, so that works. With a reasonably large box the PSU can sit in the box - just think cooling, esp with the linear PSUs.

Excellent. I'm on the fence between a Nevada linear 8a supply and lynx astro cable vs. a 12v/5a lynx astro power supply.

I'm leaning towards the 12v/5a option becasue it's smaller, cheaper, and I'll probably head towards a battery based solution in the long run.

I'm not really at the place in my AP journey that I'd notice any difference with 13.8v 😅 I've not used the EQ6 yet as I'm rebuilding it, and I don't have a guide camera...