Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGLers in Astronomy Now March issue

gorann

I have to admit that I knew little about Astronomy Now until @ollypenrice asked me if he could use my Squid image to illustrate the possibilities of the new generation OSC CMOS cameras (ASI2600MC in my case) in the January issue. One bonus for me was that the magazine sent me a free issue and I liked it a lot. I also noticed that they had a gallery section, so I though why not give it a try. Apparently they liked my image so it is now in the March issue and they gave me a 15 pound voucher. I have now spent that and a bit more on a yearly subscription (after Swedish customs have ensured me that there are no fees or VAT on UK magazines). Maybe this is how they attact new subscribers😉

Among other SGLers that I have got to know here and on Astrobin I see that Peter Goodhew also was lucky this time, so congratulations Peter @Petergoodhew:hello2:. There may be more active SGLers in the issue that I do not know or have odd user names here.

PS. I hope I am not breaking any major copyright rule when I post this page here🤔, but after all I took the picture.

Cheers, Göran

MyImage in Astronomy Now March2021.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 28

Just now, The Admiral said:

But that is a gorgeous image Goran, one much to be envied. I don't recall seeing it before in the Lounge.

Congratulations!

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian! Maybe I forgot to post it here. Here is a better resolution version.

20201016 DarkNeb in Taurus RASATwoPanelsPS22smallSign.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Thanks for posting that. Personally, I think your images with the RASA are really raising the bar for quality. And, showing objects with which we (or at least, I) am familiar with.

Ian

1 hour ago, Padraic M said:

That's fantastic, congrats on the publication but well deserved. I love watching your progress with the RASA but not adding it to my Want-list just yet! 🙂

Thanks a lot to both of you! The RASA 8 is amazing in the way it can go deep and catch more colour than my other scopes. The main drawback is the extreme sensitivity of an f/2 system for distance to the chip and any tilt. I just have to try the best as I can but often I have to spend quite a bit of processing time fixing star shapes in the corners. But then I am also pressing the RASA 8 beyond its limits by using an APS-C sized chip.

• Like 1

Lovely shot.. I've been an AN subscriber for years.. I always point out to "The Wife" .. "hey look this is another great shot from one of my "Mates" on SGL" 🤣 .. she always replies "yes dear" and goes back to "Farcebook".. anyway because of your "shots" I got the ASI2600 and all the endless clouds that came with it.. but I'm sure it'll be a great camera... one day night 🤔

• Like 1

Just now, Sp@ce_d said:

Lovely shot.. I've been an AN subscriber for years.. I always point out to "The Wife" .. "hey look this is another great shot from one of my "Mates" on SGL" 🤣 .. she always replies "yes dear" and goes back to "Farcebook".. anyway because of your "shots" I got the ASI2600 and all the endless clouds that came with it.. but I'm sure it'll be a great camera... one day night 🤔

Thanks ! That is a really great camera, best I ever had! But yes, it brings in the clouds😉

• Like 1

Congratulations on your published image, as you already know, your first light image of M31 was enough to persuade me to purchase a RASA8 and QHY268c.

I’ve yet to attain your standard of images, (I must have a session with it at a dark site) but I have seen enough to reassure me it was a sound investment.

3 minutes ago, tomato said:

Congratulations on your published image, as you already know, your first light image of M31 was enough to persuade me to purchase a RASA8 and QHY268c.

I’ve yet to attain your standard of images, (I must have a session with it at a dark site) but I have seen enough to reassure me it was a sound investment.

Thanks Steve! It was no doubt a very good investment. Good luck with the skies - we all need it, and one night we get it!

24 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Wow didn't know that was  there,

And 6.6 hours at F2.,  faint stuff for sure, 

Nicely captured and processed , a wall hanger for sure.

Congratulations with the image and well deserved,

Well done 

Paul  

Thanks a lot Paul! Yes this f/2 scope really brings out the faint stuff. Dark nebulae are no longer dark and actually are quite colourfull.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul! My average SQM is similar to yours. The best I have had is 21.6 but when this image was taken it was probably  around 20.5 due to the reflective snow cover brightening the sky. Snow is gone now but the moon is back 🥴

• Like 1