Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help! no idea what has caused this on my image.

Until someone more knowledgeable comes along with an actual answer, I'll provide my theory...

Looks like it could be a stacking artifact to me, caused by the fact that your individual subs do not have the same framing (you can see the stars are in different positions within in the frame in the stacked image and the single sub)

Edited by The Lazy Astronomer
  • Like 1

Here's your stacked image, highly stretched:

Red.jpg.8e35a1a169194f84e42fb958434dbba1.jpg

The grey diagonal area is where DSS had no, or very little, data to stack.

Here's your Light, also stretched:

Red2.jpg.50a7e5e8a94c9ef29e621cfd65a524aa.jpg

You can see that stars 1, 2, and 3 are hugely displaced from the stacked result.

DSS will tolerate a fair amount of field-of-view drift, such as caused by Dithering, but this much is causing the black patch.

So examine your Lights and only stack those that have a similar FOV.

Your single Light has a grey colour balance, but the Stacked image is dominated by red ?

I'd say your exposures are too short.

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Space turnip said:

Any ideas

Hi.

Looks good. Just a pity that the image drifted so much; not much of it contained all the frames. 

Maybe the camera moved/tripod displaced? This can be happen on paved surfaces or soft ground by walking too near the setup.

Tighten everything and tread carefully!

Cheers

Autosave-s.thumb.jpg.72be9e72a82750fbdf5b53c497590973.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input it’s been very much appreciated. I totally agree with the subject drifting through the frame. Totally down to inexperience. I’ll up the exposure a bit and keep subject in the centre of the frame. Thanks again for the reply’s. 👍

If using a static tripod, then take your 100+ images but when stacking you could do three separate stacks, process individually and then use Microsoft ICE to stitch them together. That's an option if the target drift is too much for one combined frame.