SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stupid ASCOM window QHY268

DaveS

24 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I've tried running ASCOM diagnostics before with other problems, but unless you're an ASCOM geek they are just gobbledegook. Or should that be gobbledegeek?

Probably don't need to run the diagnostics as such, but it has the choose and connect to device -> camera   and look at properties options.

I used to hear anecdotes about people putting a bit of black electrical tape over dash warning lights on cars they were trying to sell.

So it got me thinking, you could put some grey electrical tape over the offending box on the monitor...

No?  

Sorry. 🤣

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks Louise.

Going to take a break now as I've been looking at screens for so long today that it's making my eyes go wonky.

When you resurface - nicely refreshed, Dave! I would go through the manual step by step to make sure you have installed it properly i.e. exactly as they describe :) . In particular, make sure the driver shown in Device Manager is correct after you've installed the camera. Reading the qhy stuff again, it's a bit ambiguous when they talk about the 'system pack' on the one hand, and the beta release on the other. If in doubt, check with Mr Q! Also, whenever I've had problems with qhy ascom drivers, I've switched to their system driver and their EZCap_QT software, as a sanity check :)

Good luck!

Louise

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks but that,s the windows version I think.
I have downloaded the latest drivers for RPi from QHY but it just crashes.

I think I may have to ditch EKOS and RPi for now and try to figure out a new sequencing package such as NINA or Voyager on a PC and go back to Windows.
It is just so frustrating when I have spent a year getting RPi to work reliably and also I really like EKOS and its format that I now have to change my whole way of working just to get a new camera working that wa snot exactly cheap.

I am beginning to wish I had waited a few more weeks and got the ZWO version as never had issues with all my ZWO cameras.

Steve

I'm sure I read on the INDI forum that someone had asked if the QHY cameras would be fully supported and Jasem responded saying he had ordered one himself so yes they would!

• Thanks 1

I omitted to mention in my previous post that I'm using usb2.. (ok different camera manufacturer) even though I "can" connect usb3, it works fine (so far) on an active USB2 extension & hub. I always make sure things work on a more tolerant USB2 bus first before "pushing the envelope" with usb3... 5 metres might be a big ask on usb3.. is it active?..  might be might not be contributing.. but small steps & important not to "rush past" some of the basics.. (you can tell I've been caught by that many times) :) 

OK, brief return, longer tomorrow.

Yes, the ASA software is Windows ASCOM specific as there was no INDI when it was being developed.

I'll try running the camera through the powered USB hub in the DDM60 Pro mount.

OK, I've tried:

Hard restarting the PC

Swapping the too long 5 metre USB 3 for a short USB 2 to the powered hub on the mount

No change in the stupid window.

Swapping back to the too long 5 metre USB 3

No difference

Swapping out the too long cable for an old 3 metre USB 3 that I had kicking around.

Still no difference.

I confess to being totally baffled.

I have registered with the QHY forum, so that will be my next stop. Hey ho, the slow boat to China.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

OK, I've tried:

Hard restarting the PC

Swapping the too long 5 metre USB 3 for a short USB 2 to the powered hub on the mount

No change in the stupid window.

Swapping back to the too long 5 metre USB 3

No difference

Swapping out the too long cable for an old 3 metre USB 3 that I had kicking around.

Still no difference.

I confess to being totally baffled.

I have registered with the QHY forum, so that will be my next stop. Hey ho, the slow boat to China.

You've missed something, Dave... :) How is the camera appearing in Device Manager?

I had a quick look on the qhy forum, Dave. There seems to be a few people on there who apparently have it working ok - maybe some minor issues. So it's probably not a driver problem. Could there be an issue with your Maxim? (I've never used it so can't help with it). Someone on the qhy forum was using the ascom driver ok with APT.

Louise