Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stupid ASCOM window QHY268

DaveS

I've been fighting endless battles with ASCOM drivers since getting my QHY 268M I'm running the latest beta QHY package (May be the reason) which I think is needed to support the mono camera.

On starting Maxim and connecting the camera I eventually get this window

1267807421_Screenshot2021-02-23172220.png.315789bf9aa4a32a0e175da2cce9d943.png

The gain value is what I set in the QHY set up window but the offset is meaningless, and greyed out so cannot be changed. I can't even see anything to click to either get rid of the blasted thing or to say "OK".

Last night I was able to get exposures in Maxim, but in Sequence they just froze at the readout stage.

Any ideas?

I only have Maxim for capture on this computer. I have AstroArt capture on my laptop, so I suppose I could try installing the drivers and see what happens there. Would mean taking the camera off the telescope.

I get the same gain & offset window when i connect the ASI2600mc I bought recently and it doesn't close after loading although I can adjust both of those parameters. However if I understand this it looks like yours is hanging? although you say it runs exposures?.. If its taking ages to load I'd suspect the drivers having issues. Have you pulled anything else off the bus just to make sure there's no conflicts with other devices?

The camera is the only thing on the USB3 bus, everything else is through the USB2 hub on the computer. I've been right back to uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling them, restarting the computer, the whole bit.

This has really only happened since I had to rebuild the installation after a total crash. I had the camera running under the original ASCOM 6.4 SP1 without getting that window, but only for one night before a Win-Dross update borked the computer. maybe it's because I had to reinstall the ASCOM platform and went to 6.5 SP1.

I'll have another try tomorrow.

I found an old ASCOM 6.4 SP1 installation file so tried rolling back to that bhut no luck, still get the partially greyed out box.

Will try with ASA Sequence but need some kind of a clear night to be able to capture images. and clear nights have been in short supply.

Hi Dave :)

I take it you installed the current QHY 'system pack' which includes an ascom driver? Qhy are notorious for dodgy drivers, though (in my experience). It's a beefy-looking camera! Lol. I imagine it needs a good quality usb 3.0/3.1 connection. I have an old i5-2500k desktop (from 2012, I think)  which has 'usb 3.0' but it doesn't work too well with a lot of things and I can't do anything about it :( Even third party usb 3.0 expansion cards don't work properly a lot of the time, so it's probably down to the chipset. So if there's any doubt, I'd try it in an alternate system, if possible. I take it you posted on the qhy forum? Any suggestions from there? I see you did have it working at one point - yeah, always worth rolling back, even if it's a bit of a pain...

Louise

Yes, I have the latest QHY driver pack. I suppose I should register on the QHY forum and post a question there.

The cable's a bit long for USB 3 at 5 metres, but anything shorter is a stretch, 3 metres is about as short as is reasonable.

The problem is that blasted ASCOM box, as the camera downloads OK. I had no problem the other night when I was attending to the focus and getting it synched to Cartes du Ciel. I think the way Sequence connects to Maxim might be one problem, though it's never caused problems before.

21 hours ago, DaveS said:

I'm running the latest beta QHY package

Did you download and install the All-In-One pack v21.02.20? Located here.

There is an issue with the USB drivers of previously released packs with this camera and the 294Pro, as these cameras were manufactured with a new USB controller chip. The manufacturer updated the design without announcing it and it has some issues with the old libraries. The new libraries are now included as part of this pack.

QHY also recommend only using a max 3m length USB 3.0 cable, or using a powered repeater cable for stable connection.

Edited by Spongey

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The pack I have is the Beta version 21.01.06.13 Which I think this camera needs, at least as far as I can make out on the site.

There has been a couple of updates since then, I apologise I had a typo in my post above and have now corrected it. Download and install the one I have linked and try that :) 

Edited by Spongey

16 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Yes, I have the latest QHY driver pack. I suppose I should register on the QHY forum and post a question there.

The cable's a bit long for USB 3 at 5 metres, but anything shorter is a stretch, 3 metres is about as short as is reasonable.

5m for usb 3 might be a bit long. I would try usb 2.0 if you can't run a shorter cable. So much trial and error with usb camera connections!

Louise

OK. I have downloaded and transferred @Spongey's link. I agree that 5m for USB3 is pushing it a bit. Will try swapping over cables tomorrow perhaps as the weather's a bit rubbish of open heart surgery on the telescope and computer.

I'm investigating the possibility of mounting the PC on the telescope, and running an ethernet cable into the network from there.

Hope you get it working, I have been trying for nearly a week to get this camera working with EKOS on RPi 4 but when I start it the driver crashes every time.
I managed to get it working with Ubuntu and EKOS on another cpu but then the QHY filter wheel would not connect so went back to my RPi which was working fine with the ASI1600

So frustrating I missed a relatively clear night on Monday.

Steve

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Hope you get it working, I have been trying for nearly a week to get this camera working with EKOS on RPi 4 but when I start it the driver crashes every time.
I managed to get it working with Ubuntu and EKOS on another cpu but then the QHY filter wheel would not connect so went back to my RPi which was working fine with the ASI1600

So frustrating I missed a relatively clear night on Monday.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd also recommend updating the QHY drivers to the ones I have linked above as it may be cause of your issues. 

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Hi Steve,

I'd also recommend updating the QHY drivers to the ones I have linked above as it may be cause of your issues. 

Cheers

Thanks but that,s the windows version I think.
I have downloaded the latest drivers for RPi from QHY but it just crashes.

I think I may have to ditch EKOS and RPi for now and try to figure out a new sequencing package such as NINA or Voyager on a PC and go back to Windows.
It is just so frustrating when I have spent a year getting RPi to work reliably and also I really like EKOS and its format that I now have to change my whole way of working just to get a new camera working that wa snot exactly cheap.

I am beginning to wish I had waited a few more weeks and got the ZWO version as never had issues with all my ZWO cameras.

Steve

33 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks but that,s the windows version I think.
I have downloaded the latest drivers for RPi from QHY but it just crashes.

I think I may have to ditch EKOS and RPi for now and try to figure out a new sequencing package such as NINA or Voyager on a PC and go back to Windows.
It is just so frustrating when I have spent a year getting RPi to work reliably and also I really like EKOS and its format that I now have to change my whole way of working just to get a new camera working that wa snot exactly cheap.

I am beginning to wish I had waited a few more weeks and got the ZWO version as never had issues with all my ZWO cameras.

Steve

Ah of course, my apologies I forgot you are using Linux.

I'm sure the issues will be sorted out in time, but it might be worth pursuing the problem on the EKOS forum, I'm sure the devs there will be willing to help.

• Thanks 1

It's worth always disconnecting and then doing a cold boot (not just a reset) and reconnect the camera cables in the right order, if specified. 

I know these things can drive you nuts - I can empathise!! I'd definitely post on the qhyccd forum (but make sure you have internet security/antivirus running before going anywhere near!). Chances are, if you have a problem, someone else will have posted about the same or similar thing.

Have you tried the Ascom diagnostics?

Louise

28 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Ah of course, my apologies I forgot you are using Linux.

I'm sure the issues will be sorted out in time, but it might be worth pursuing the problem on the EKOS forum, I'm sure the devs there will be willing to help.

Cheers, yes I just need to get  time to give this some effort and EKOS forum is a good start I have had a quick look but not seen anything that helps yet but when time I will start a new thread with some screen shots.
One problem I have trying to get time is a new 9 week old puppy that I can't take my eyes off for five minutes unless she's asleep but need to get this sorted as full moon is approaching (normally not good news for imaging but clear nights up here only seem to coincide with near full moon) ha ha. 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang