Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASIAir - can anyone explain what this means?

Advice please. I was looking at the specs for the ASIAir Pro on the ZWO website, and saw this statement:

"Note:ASIAIR PRO’s USB power supply is not enough for ASI6200/ASI2600/ASI533//ASI071MC cameras to work normally, so please use an external 12V power supply, which can be connected to the ASIAIR PRO’s power management as well."

I don't understand, what has the USB supply got to do with the 12v supply? The ASIAir would be provided with a 12v supply anyway, so are they saying that the camera cooler should have its own 12v supply rather than take the 12v supply from the 12v controlled output from the ASIAir, or what?

Any thoughts from users out there?

Ian

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Not sure why they even mention it, there are 12volt cables supplied to plug into the ASIAIR Pro, the only thing USB powered on mine it the guide scope plugged into the ZWOASI2600 USB hub.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Are you powering your 2600 with 12v via the ASIAir 12v outlets, or are you using a separate supply? Presumably it works OK. I assume that the 2600 hub isn't a powered one?

Edit. I've just checked the specs for a RPi4 and the total USB current draw is 1200mA. The ASI2600, for example, is rated at 1150mA, so that is within spec.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1

Hi Ian, everything is powered from ASIAIR Pro except the mount, guide camera is plugged into the ZWO2600 USB, also got camera dew heater plugged into split 12volt supply to camera.
Bit tricky to see where it all goes from picture.

Dave

ASIAIR--Pro-connections.png.b5d2b10b5eb13deb813f593815030144.png

• Thanks 1

They are letting customers know that a 5 VDC USB connection will not provide the needed power for the device. Clearly they have had customers who have had problems and they were using a USB power source. It is like the bread toaster that has a warning label stating not to use it in the bathtub.