sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi all,

As i am soon to be the proud owner of a Vixen Polarie star tracker i am looking for some advice from the experts here on SGL with regards to widefield imaging with the Vixen Polarie.

I will initially be using it with a modified Canon 600D so am looking for advice on which lens would be best suited to use with it, I have already been pointed in the direction of the Samyang 135mm which by all accounts is a pretty good contender, so aside from that particular lens what other/s would you recommend that are Canon fitting,

Thanks in advance 🙂

It depends somewhat on how wide you want to go but would say that the Samyang 14 mm and 28 mm are worth a look or perhaps the Canon 200 mm f/2.8 L although its not in the same league as the Samyang 135 mm.

If the budget is tight then you could do worse than the 18-55 mm STM kit lens or the 50 mm f/1.8 STM prime.

Alan.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

If the budget is tight then you could do worse than the 18-55 mm STM kit lens or the 50 mm f/1.8 STM prime.

Thanks for reply Alan,

The budget is somewhat tight, i would say it's between £200 to £300 total.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SuburbanMak
      I wasn’t able to get out to the park last night but once the smaller of the children was abed & the teenagers uploaded to their games I popped on a hoodie (cunning anti-security light plan) and decamped to the garden, wine in hand, for an impromptu after dinner tour with the ST80. 
      After wrestling with the old wooden tripod on my “new” Prinz 330 60mm earlier in the week, the Manfrotto 55 and full height viewing position made this feel quite the luxury experience! 

Wide-field views weren’t bad either...
      15.4, 9.30 PM
      ST80 & Baader Zoom. 
      Seeing good, transparency patchy at Zenith, murky below 30 degrees. 
      Castor - almost split @50x  low over rooftop
      M44 Beehive - great view, put the red dot right on it. Was above the houses & enjoyed the soundtrack to a neighbour’s party whilst lost in space. 
      Melotte 111 - lovely view. Super round pin points & some good colour contrast with white & a smattering of orange stars. ST80 loves these slightly fainter clusters. No hint of CA. This cluster now firmly on my highlight list. 
      Chertan & 73 Leonis - but no triplet (well it was worth a try)
      Algieba - Split (just) at 50x, nice yellow headlights. 
      Had a look for anything apparent in the Virgo galaxy field but lots of white LP to SE so no chance. 
      Cor Caroli - beautiful view in the ST80. White primary with smaller fainter white secondary - nice round stars.  
      Mizar - again a super field, Mizar A&B look a close pair at 50x with size contrast - easy to imagine as an orbital system. Alcor a way off and a couple of other faint stars making a nice little asterism. 
      M81 & M82 - yes! From the garden, a first outside of M31!  Hoodie over the EP.  Dropped the red dot carefully in line from the diagonal across the bowl of the plough/dipper.  Galaxies popped with a slight nudge from original guess.  See an oval and a stripe & that fantastic orientation - obviously no detail but a rewarding view from among the security & streetlights! 
      Enjoyed for ages with a glass of wine!  
      Civilised galactic travel... 
    • By JemC
      Hi all,
      this image is my 1st light using my recently acquired iOptron Photron RC6 ,  never used  an RC  before,  anyway after quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which adapters were required in order to achieve focus with the Canon 600d  and then getting it balanced ( quite back end heavy with the extension tubes and camera on ) it was time to put myself to the test as well as the kit.
      It ended up just being a short run . the set up consisted of :

EQ6 Pro pier mounted
      iOptron RC6
      Canon 600d (modified)
      ASIAir Pro (for the wizardry stuff)
      ASI 120mm Mini guide camera mounted to 9 x 50 finder scope

20 x 120 sec lights. or ( 40 minutes in old money )
      Calibration files were also used ( not to good effect i might add )
      Stacked in DSS with slight adjustments then transferred to Photo shop for final butchery, 
      Levels and curves adjusted and cropped slightly.
      Overall i'm quite happy with the outcome for such a short amount of data, 
      Any feedback is welcome, or any tips to help me improve with this scope  🙂
      so here it is 
      M82

• By micovn
      This is a lens that does not need an introduction, it's simply a fantastic budget lens! I've been using it for astrophotography with great results and satisfaction (see pictures). Just selling it becuase I'm upgrading to the 135mm version. Any questions please ask. Asking £160 which includes P&P to UK mainland.

• By DeepSkyMan
      Hi everyone, not sure if this is the correct forum for this thread but thought it was close enough to topic 🙂  
      In prep for my Pulsar Obsy build a couple of months from now I’m looking to get ahead of software requirements for the dome.  Can anybody provide advice on a decent ‘Skinny’ software stack for mount and dome control.  Observing has been simple for me thus far, only need to worry about mount control.  However,  I got to thinking about how clumsy and inefficient things would be if goto commands were two separate unrelated actions one for mount control from my chosen planetarium software SkySafari, and then having to reach over and key in the Azimuth setting for dome position.   As far as I know there is no dome control interface from SkySafari, so it looks like this will be achieved via an RDP session into my Intel NUC and thence to the dome controller.   No big deal I guess this will just join my Atik Horizon control Software.  What is my best solution for joint mount and dome control?
      Kind Regards
      Paul.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.