Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew heater cables - ideas to prevent cable snagging

I didn't really know where to put this one.

I have tidied up my cables (too many) to prevent them getting snagged as the scope moves BUT I cannot see a way to ensure the cable that runs to the dew strap on the scope does not get caught up. I currently have the dew controller fixed by Velcro on one of the legs of the AVX mount and then the heater cable runs to the strap on the telescope dew shield. Anyone thought of a way to eliminate the possibility of this cable snagging on the mount?

By mounting the controller on the saddle it does reduce rotation but does not eliminate it. Is this the best solution?

Edited by PeterCPC

I bought a pack of THESE releasable cable ties and used them for cable management on the mount and scope.

I have the USB dew heater straps and the cable is long enough that I can follow the cable run for the cameras, up the mount and onto the main scope, then branch off for the main & guide scope dew heaters. 

The 3M sticking pads work well, even down to -6°C, and having them releasable means you can change the cable positions if needed. 

• Like 2

This wasn't about keeping cables tidy - it was about the best location for the dew heater controller that produced the least cable movement when tracking. I have established that, if you mount the dew controller on the saddle, the movement is greatly reduced. The controller goes around with the cable attached to the scope and the power cable, being fairly vertical, has very little rotation. I have all other cables placed so as to avoid any snagging. Thanks to those who responded.