Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8” SCT Solar observing

NGC 1502

Hi to users of the popular 8” SCT.  I’m trying to advise someone regarding solar observing with an 8” Celestron SCT.  The user is familiar with the essential idea of using proper filters designed for the task and securely fitted. His enquiry relates to suitable magnifications, his lowest power is currently 80x with a 25mm eyepiece.

When I’m solar observing I generally use far lower powers than 80x because that gives a sharper view in the often turbulent daytime atmosphere.

Options include a 32 or 40mm Plossl for 63x or 50x, or an f6.3 focal reducer to obtain lower powers.  I’d be pleased if those of you who are familiar with the issue to advise with what kit you use.  Or maybe you find 80x gives ok views.  We’re considering visual use only.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Ed.

Hi I use space weather live app on my phone it will tell you how many Sun spots your see and were to look there is loads of info and the app is free , enjoy the bright side of this hobby 

Edited by Neil H
Typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all so I have used my solar filter with my 25mm eyepiece on my nexstar 8se, I used it about 1:30 in the afternoon so not best time for observing the sun but I noticed that it is really zoomed in and wonder what would be better to buy, 32mm eyepiece, 45mm eyepiece or a f6.3 focal reducer 

thank you all 

Joe