Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horse Head Nebula in LRGB and Ha

peter shah

Thank you everyone for commenting. 😀

12 hours ago, Kimboman said:

Superb I would love a print of this for my wall excellent

Go ahead and get one printed if you want

50 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Does anyone know the cause of the vertical streaks in the background emission nebula please?

Ive always know it as the curtain and seems to be more noticeable in the Ha data. According to Wiki....(who knows if is accurate) the streaking is caused the magnetic field from stars in the open cluster (Sigma Ori), sound plausible to me.. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Ive always know it as the curtain and seems to be more noticeable in the Ha data. According to Wiki....(who knows if is accurate) the streaking is caused the magnetic field from stars in the open cluster (Sigma Ori), sound plausible to me.. 

Had a search and there are several image captions out there suggesting magnetic fields are the cause, but an astronomer cast doubt on that in this APOD discussion thread.

"Interstellar magnetic fields are extremely weak, and there's no clear mechanism that could produce structure this strong in this hot, dense, turbulent environment. This is a region dominated by gravity, radiation pressure, and shock fronts."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Had a search and there are several image captions out there suggesting magnetic fields are the cause, but an astronomer cast doubt on that in this APOD discussion thread.

"Interstellar magnetic fields are extremely weak, and there's no clear mechanism that could produce structure this strong in this hot, dense, turbulent environment. This is a region dominated by gravity, radiation pressure, and shock fronts."

interesting ....Shock waves are very similar as how the crescent nebula gets its ripples too.....does sound more likely when its explained.

2 hours ago, peter shah said:

interesting ....Shock waves are very similar as how the crescent nebula gets its ripples too.....does sound more likely when its explained.

Yes, I think that's more likely. These O-class stars can impart a great deal of energy and momentum into their surroundings, over their lifetimes about as much as a supernova.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1