SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep heart or Orion

Magnum

The weather finally broke long enough this week for me to start the project ive been wanting to do for the last 3 months. Managed to get a few hours on it spread over 2 nights but the moon will be in the way for the next 2 weeks and im loosing Orion behind a tree earlier every night now so will remain a work in progress until next winter.

Anyway this is the widest and deepest image ive ever captured of the heart of Orion, though I was hoping for a bit more structure at the bottom, when straight out of the camera there was much more contrast in the centre 50% of the image than the outer parts,  im wondering if my Baader 7nm Ha filter is going off band at f2.8, can't decide wether to stop the lens down or upgrade to an Antlia 3nm filter which ive seen examples of working well with RASAs at f2.2. 

This is 21 x 10 min subs in Ha using my Samyang 135mm F2 lens set at f2.8 & my Atik383L ccd camera. Guided, captured, stacked and stretched in MaximDL processed in Photoshop. 

orionatik383samyang135moresubsflatter.jpg

• Like 16

ive been having a play making a starless version can never decide if I like these or not, though they seem to be the current fad at the moment LOL

feel like removing the stars adds noise, or maybe just makes it more noticeable 

mono_test5_s.jpg

• Like 7

Oh yes that's nice,

The starless image looks surreal, almost like waves

And where the Horse head is just above it,

It looks like there's a void where everything is  falling into it 

and Orion has been pushed up out the way by a wave

I know ...........I have a active imagination lol

very impressive.

Well done 

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Magnum said:

ive been having a play making a starless version can never decide if I like these or not, though they seem to be the current fad at the moment LOL

feel like removing the stars adds noise, or maybe just makes it more noticeable 

mono_test5_s.jpg

I do like the starless version (like the other version as well of course). Can I ask what method you used to remove the stars?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

I do like the starless version (like the other version as well of course). Can I ask what method you used to remove the stars?

In this case I was trying out the stand alone version of Starnet for Mac OS

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Sooooo deep.....just beautiful. Normally a starless image shows detail you would ordinarily not notice....but in this case there is so much going on in the original there isnt a lot missed. Great shot 

Thanks Peter, I think thats because I installed Starnet after id processed the image so I simply removed the stars from the final image as I didn't want to go back to the beginning LOL

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

In this case I was trying out the stand alone version of Starnet for Mac OS

I need to try starnet again (windows). I never got on with it, it removed most of the stars but then badly distorted the image.

25 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

I need to try starnet again (windows). I never got on with it, it removed most of the stars but then badly distorted the image.

Theres no control over it really, i think you can change one parramatta when running from the command line which alters the size of the chunks it chops the image into, apparently that can help with artifacts. But i just run it in the default setting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

Theres no control over it really, i think you can change one parramatta when running from the command line which alters the size of the chunks it chops the image into, apparently that can help with artifacts. But i just run it in the default setting

I will give it another go. I don't know if it was the quality of my image (which was good in my eyes) but with the California nebula in Ha the whole image became sort of just noise.