Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Direct mount control cable for eq6r to pc

I've got the latest model of eq6r pro mount. It comes with the printer style usb port on the mount head. I'm looking to connect using ascom and eqmod to my pc to lose the hand controller. I was wondering peoples thoughts.... should I go with the printer lead or should I use a USB direct cable. Are there any differences between the leads in terms of performance. Can someone recommend the exact lead and what software do you all recommend? I've heard stellarium but are there anymore? Cheers 

I have the older version NEQ6PRO.

One of the benefits of the latest mount is that it effectively has a EQDir module built into the mount.

you can use a standard printer USB to connect and bypass the handcontroller.

EQmod should see the connection (I think you have to set a higher Baud rate) and your off and running.

I use EQMOD with CdC to run my NEQ6PRO, C11, spectrograph set up.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I have the older version NEQ6PRO.

One of the benefits of the latest mount is that it effectively has a EQDir module built into the mount.

you can use a standard printer USB to connect and bypass the handcontroller.

EQmod should see the connection (I think you have to set a higher Baud rate) and your off and running.

I use EQMOD with CdC to run my NEQ6PRO, C11, spectrograph set up.

So I should be fine running from usb printer lead? I just don't want to spend money on a longer printer lead then find i would be better using the direct usb cables that are sold. Werent sure if there was any difference in performance or would both do the job just as well. Thank you

Only issue with the usb printer style lead direct to the mount is whether the cable comes out too easily. On the plus side the serial/usb conversion is done by the mount and should be supported by Skywatcher for ages, the leads are cheaper and the baud rate is faster  (if that helps).

There is currently an issue for the Asiair Pro which is awaiting an update to connect with the built in usb for the latest versions of this mount but works with older eqdir cables.

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Only issue with the usb printer style lead direct to the mount is whether the cable comes out too easily. On the plus side the serial/usb conversion is done by the mount and should be supported by Skywatcher for ages, the leads are cheaper and the baud rate is faster  (if that helps).

There is currently an issue for the Asiair Pro which is awaiting an update to connect with the built in usb for the latest versions of this mount but works with older eqdir cables.

printer lead usb has faster baud rate sorry? 

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

I haven't got the asi air I'm using a pc in my observatory to run the mount.

1 hour ago, Leewfc said:

I haven't got the asi air I'm using a pc in my observatory to run the mount.

It was added as a point of information in case that was a future choice you may have been considering.

1 hour ago, Leewfc said:

printer lead usb has faster baud rate sorry? 

When connecting a serial port you need to specify the port number & baud rate. On older connections using an eqdir cable this was normally 9600 but the onboard usb port expects a higher value (115200 I think). 

40 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

It was added as a point of information in case that was a future choice you may have been considering.

When connecting a serial port you need to specify the port number & baud rate. On older connections using an eqdir cable this was normally 9600 but the onboard usb port expects a higher value (115200 I think). 

Thanks for all your advice and info really appreciated. I'll order a printer lead cable like you said cheaper and see how I get on. Thanks again