Jump to content

stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

Vixen Advanced Polaris AZ mount?


Recommended Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has had hands on experience of this mount? It seems to be a good size and strength for a grab and go altaz', but it is quite pricey for a small to mid range mount. I'm particularly interested in the amount of plastic in the form of covers and caps that could crack or get easily damaged over time. At the price, I would prefer no plastic at all, but that could be a big ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I'm wondering if anyone has had hands on experience of this mount? It seems to be a good size and strength for a grab and go altaz', but it is quite pricey for a small to mid range mount. I'm particularly interested in the amount of plastic in the form of covers and caps that could crack or get easily damaged over time. At the price, I would prefer no plastic at all, but that could be a big ask.

Mike, save yourself a load of dosh.  I'll sell you my Vixen Super Polaris mount, already in altaz configuration, for a mere £450 - including a tripod and slow motion controls 🤣.

I'd not heard of this mount before, but  it's a bit pricey. the tripod to go with it is £216, and I'm not sure the basic price includes a counterweight bar 🙂.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Mike, save yourself a load of dosh.  I'll sell you my Vixen Super Polaris mount, already in altaz configuration, for a mere £450 - including a tripod and slow motion controls 🤣.

I'd not heard of this mount before, but  it's a bit pricey. the tripod to go with it is £216, and I'm not sure the basic price includes a counterweight bar 🙂.

That's mighty kind of you Paul. You're a good mate, and I don't care what everyone else says!  The Vixen won't need a tripod as I'd use the one I already have, and there's already a counterweight attached to it. I really hate Altaz mounts that need counterweight arms to balance a scope. The DZ won't really need a balancing arm as it weighs next to nowt. With the Vixen AZ the counterweight sits tight against the mount body.  It's a shame no one makes a proper altazimuth fork mount with slow motions anymore.  The only other Altaz's are the Losmandy AZ8 and the Rowan, both of which are overkill for my scope. The Losmandy is all in and works straight off, but with the Rowan you've to pay through the nose to get essential extras to make the darn thing work. It's like buying a car and having to buy the wheels and seats seperately.  A T-Rex would be far better for me but sadly nolonger available, and John won't sell me his for less than six figures.LOL

I don't actually need a new Altaz, or anything else for that matter. I'm just window shopping due to lockdown boredom! 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't actually need a new Altaz, or anything else for that matter. I'm just window shopping due to lockdown boredom! 

I know the feeling Mike! I always seem to be browsing my next purchase and scheming my next project. :)  The Vixen looks like a lovely mount - I guess the price is down to the 'modularity' - I am always reluctant to pay a premium for aspects I'm unlikely to use. Having said that my Skytee has a top mounted clamp which I tried to use the other day - it was a complete pain in the bum to use so is effectively a useless feature I paid extra for - I wish they'd removed the top clamp feature and add some decent side clamps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Having said that my Skytee has a top mounted clamp which I tried to use the other day - it was a complete pain in the bum to use so is effectively a useless feature I paid extra for - I wish they'd removed the top clamp feature and add some decent side clamps.

Yeh agree with the shortcomings of that top clamp but IMO its not completely useless I have my Telrad on there just now 🤣  just waiting for Rowan to come up with the mid range AZ50 🤞

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RobertI said:

I know the feeling Mike! I always seem to be browsing my next purchase and scheming my next project. :)  The Vixen looks like a lovely mount - I guess the price is down to the 'modularity' - I am always reluctant to pay a premium for aspects I'm unlikely to use. Having said that my Skytee has a top mounted clamp which I tried to use the other day - it was a complete pain in the bum to use so is effectively a useless feature I paid extra for - I wish they'd removed the top clamp feature and add some decent side clamps.

Hi Rob,

  That's the main reason I don't like the Sytee mount. It's trying to be all things, when very often, the main reason for a mount like that is simplicity. Plus I think it spoils the look. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

 

I don't actually need a new Altaz, or anything else for that matter. I'm just window shopping due to lockdown boredom! 

So it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact you have just sold a couple of items and the money is burning a hole in your pocket then Mike?  😁.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 20:18, mikeDnight said:

I'm wondering if anyone has had hands on experience of this mount?

Yes. I picked up an ex dem AP equatorial mount a few years back and bought the AZP  base so I can use in either configuration. The engineering accounts for the price, the slow motions are exceptionally smooth, the friction settings just a finger movement. On an AP tripod capacity is not great, far better to use a HAL or similar. Still use it for travel, grab and go, mainly in EQ mode for single axis tracking and access to zenith area.

If looking for a quality AZ now would consider the Scopetec Zero as it looks as if the slow mos can be fully adjusted to get nice feel. It packs smaller too. For a widefield scope slow mos not essential, but as soon as you use more magnification ( most objects) they become very desirable! Nothing wrong with window shopping unless you break the glass 😀

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.